County Attorney's Office

110 Allamakee St Waukon, IA 52172

Anthony Gericke, Allamakee County Attorney
Jill Kistler, Assistant Allamakee County Attorney                                                                                                                                              
Mary Huinker, Paralegal
Karmen Piggott, Victim/Witness Coordinator



Duties of the Allamakee County Attorney

Civil Advice:
 The County Attorney is the legal advisor for the Allamakee County Board of Supervisors, county department heads and other county agencies.  As the legal advisor for the county, the County Attorney serves in a role that is similar to that of an in-house corporate counsel.  The County Attorney provides legal advice to the County Board and county departments to assist the county in providing many public services.  Other areas of civil advice include defending challenges to property tax values, enforcing county environment and health ordinances, and forfeiting property used in connection with criminal activity.

Adult Prosecution:
The County Attorney is the chief prosecutor for crimes which occur within Allamakee County.  Prosecution involves bringing charges against a party, trying the case in court, and making sentencing recommendations.  The County Attorney prosecutes both felony and misdemeanor offenses.

Juvenile Prosecution:
The County Attorney is the prosecutor in all cases involving juvenile offenders.  These range from alcohol violations to the most serious felony criminal behavior.  While the goal of juvenile court is rehabilitation of offenders, due to public safety concerns, the County Attorney may ask the Court to order a juvenile to stand trial as an adult.

Victim/Witness Assistance:
The County Attorney provides assistance and support to the victims and witnesses of crime who play a vital role in the criminal justice system.  They advise victims of crime of their legal rights.  The County Attorney's Office works closely with the various victim service groups within the county.  The County Attorney assists in obtaining restitution for losses suffered by crime victims.

Family Services:
The County Attorney initiates CINA (Child In Need of Assistance) petitions to protect abused or neglected children in the county.   The County Attorney initiates legal proceedings to protect the health and safety of vulnerable adults within the county when they are in need of assistance.  The County Attorney also represents persons who have filed involuntary commitment actions to provide necessary treatment for individuals alleged to be suffering from serious mental impairment or a subtance related disorder.

The County Attorney DOES:

  • Prosecute all violations of state criminal laws and county ordinances.
  • Provide legal advice to the Board of Supervisors and County and Township Officers concerning County matters.
  • Represent and defend the state, county and its officers in officially related cases.
  • Recover all monies (debts, fines, penalties, etc.) owing to the state or county.
  • Present all mental impairment and substance related commitment proceedings and all juvenile delinquency and child in need of assistance cases.

In his or her OFFICIAL capacity, the County Attorney is NOT a lawyer for a private group or person. The County Attorney in his or her OFFICIAL capacity DOES NOT:

  • Give legal advice to or represent private groups or persons as County Attorney.
  • File lawsuits for private persons or defend them against lawsuits, including actions for dissolution of marriage.
  • Prepare wills, deeds or other legal documents for private individuals.

Contact Information:

Mailing Address: Allamakee County Courthouse, 110 Allamakee Street, Waukon, IA  52172

County Attorney's Office Phone No.: (563) 568-3813

County Attorney's Office Fax No.: (563) 568-6403


Email Addresses:

     County Attorney:

     Assistant County Attorney:


     Victim Witness Coordinator:


Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I look up information about a case? 

The Iowa Judiciary provides case information to the public at

Where do I pay a fine? 

You may pay your fine at the Allamakee County Clerk of Court's Office located on the second floor of the Allamakee County Courthouse, 110 Allamakee Street, Waukon.

Where do I look up land records? 

You may look up land records in the Allamakee County Recorder’s Office on the second floor of the Allamakee County Courthouse, 110 Allamakee Street, Waukon, or online at

Who do I call for information on jury duty?

Call the Allamakee County Clerk of Court's Office at 563-568-6351.

How do I report a crime? 

You should call your local law enforcement agency OR the Allamakee County Sherriff’s Office at 563-568-4521.

How do I get help for a person who may be dangerous or unsafe due to a mental illness or substance abuse? 

You will need to contact the Clerk of Court’s Office at the Allamakee County Courthouse, 110 Allamakee Street, Waukon. Be prepared to fill out an Application and bring a second person who will provide an affidavit regarding the situation. The State can only help individuals with mental health or substance abuse issues in certain circumstances.

Where do I go to get a Driver License or ID? 

Allamakee Treasurer’s Office, second floor Allamakee County Courthouse, 110 Allamakee Street, Waukon, 563-568-3793.

Bad Checks

If you have received checks that come back insufficient funds or closed accounts, please refer to the following document:

Bad Check Procedures

Notice of Refusal

Crime Report

Domestic Violence Crimes in Allamakee County

There is no excuse for domestic violence

The Allamakee County Attorney’s Office has prepared this information to help answer some questions about domestic violence cases. You do not deserve to be abused. There is help available. Our office and many others stand ready to do all we can to make you safer and hold your abuser accountable for the criminal conduct.  Please refer to the pdf document for more information.

Victim Resources

IowaVINE is a service through which victims of crime can use the telephone or Internet to search for information regarding an offender’s custody status and register to receive telephone and/or e-mail notification when the offender’s custody status changes.  The IowaVINE toll-free number is 1-888-742-8463.  To register for IowaVINE notifications click here.

IPONDA Iowa Protective Order Notification for Domestic Abuse Program. This is a service provided by the Iowa Attorney General’s Office Crime Victim Assistance Division. It provides victims with access to information and notifications for protective order statuses. It is an automated service the lets you, the protected party or petitioner, track the status of a protective order over the phone or Internet. You can also register to be notified by phone or e-mail about changes in the status of a protective order.

Before you call IPONDA, be ready with your case number and the defendant or respondent’s name as it appears on the order.

Call 1-888-742-8463 or visit to access protective order information.

If you feel you are in danger, call 911 immediately.

Crisis Center and Women’s Shelter Provides services to survivors of domestic abuse and sexual violence, including a 24 Hour Crisis Line, Shelter Services, Individual Counseling and Support Groups, Community Education and Training, and Outreach Services.
For more information call the Crisis Center at:
641-683-3122 or
Women’s Resource Center: 641-683-1750.

Crime Victim Compensation Program If  you or someone you care about has suffered personal physical or emotional injury from a crime, contact the Crime Victim Compensation Program. This program may help you with certain out-of-pocket expenses resulting from the crime. It can also help you find other resources to meet your crime-related needs.
Phone: 515-281-5044 or Toll-Free 1-800-373-5044 or visit:

Safe at Home Program  Safe at Home (SAH) is an address confidentiality program.  See attached pdf for more information.


Useful Links

The following links provide useful information and quick access to local and state-wide law enforcement and social programs:

Iowa Judicial Branch:

Iowa Courts Online:

Iowa Crime Victim Assistance:

Iowa Department of Human Services:

Iowa Department of Corrections:

Iowa State Bar Association:

Iowa Department of Justice:

Iowa Legal Aid Society:

Allamakee County Sheriff's Office:  /sheriff

Homeland Security Investigations Victim Notification Program: