Waste Management

Recycling, Trash Disposal, Household Hazardous Waste Information

Welcome to Allamakee County Waste Management.  Join us on Facebook! 

For more information on this and other topics, please call Allamakee County Waste and Recycling - (563) 568-4806
Hours:  M,T,W, F 7:30 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.   TH 7:30 a.m.-6:00 p.m.  Sat. 7:00 a.m.-12:00 noon   Closed Sundays

Location:  869 Hwy 9, Waukon, IA 52172
All other rural sites call 563-568-4806 for time and location.

House Hold Hazardous Materials

What Can Be Recycled?

Rural Drop Off

Home Composting: Reap a Heap of Benefits - Why compost?

The best method for getting rid of yard waste is also the easiest. Composting is nature’s way of turning your yard waste into a valuable soil conditioner. Composting helps your garden and lawn, saves water, benefits the environment, and saves you money on bags and commercial soil additives.

What to compost...

DO Compost: grass clippings, leaves, weeds & garden debris, small brush, twigs, wood ash, sawdust & wood chips, egg shells, and coffee grounds.

DON’T Compost: meat, bones, fat, dairy products, oils, whole branches, logs, pet or human waste, charcoal briquette ash, sawdust, or ash from treated wood.

How to compost...

All you need to compost are some basic gardening tools, materials for a bin, and a bit of soil to start the process. Bins should be square in shape, usually measuring 2’ x 2’ x 2’ or 4’ x 4’ x 4’. The bin needs to have air running through it, so snow fencing, bricks, and woven wire are excellent bin walls.

Recipe: Mix one part green yard waste with two parts brown yard waste in a pile. Mix in one inch of soil. Keep pile as moist as a wrung-out sponge. Turn pile every week to let air in. In between four weeks and a year, depending on how often you turn it and how moist the pile is kept, you will have a batch of compost.

Uses for compost...

Finished compost is a crumbly, sweet smelling dirt-like substance. It can be mixed into the soil to help the seeding process and to help fight erosion. It can also be used as mulch instead of commercial soil additives.

Yard Care: Do Your Share

Growing a healthy lawn...

• Rake up dead thatch before the grass grows in the spring.
• Let the grass grow out to 3 to 5 inches.
• Cut only the top third of the grass off at a time (about 1 inch)
• Leave clippings on your lawn.
• Water only every 1 or 2 weeks depending on your soil.
• Avoid over-fertilizing and have your soil tested every 3 to 4 years.

What to do with grass clippings...

If you use a mulching mower you can leave the clippings right on your lawn as a natural fertilizer. Otherwise, you can put your clippings, leaves, and brush in a compost pile for use as mulch later. If you live in a city, contact your city for the location of the yard waste collection site nearest you.

Testing the CMS

bla bla bla

County Social Services

Allamakee County Office


Signs with public health guidelines will be expected to be followed when in the common areas of the courthouse for social distancing requirements.  While masks are not required in the hallways, their use is recommended. Courthouse staff wish to THANK EVERYONE for their patience and willingness to follow healthy practices while we get through this experience together!!

Making an appointment with your desired office is highly recommended!

County Social Services   563-568-6227   jhowes@countysocialservices.org

  • If customer needs to meet with service coordinator, they will be encouraged to wear a mask. Mask will be provided if necessary
  • If customers need to complete and/or sign paperwork, customers will be provided hand sanitizer to use beforehand
  • To ensure social distancing, customers are encouraged to make appointments by calling or emailing the office


Jason Howes, Justice Coordinator

Phone: (563)-568-6227
Fax:  (563)568-6417

Allamakee Courthouse (First Floor)
110 Allamakee Street
Waukon, IA 52172
Hours: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm, M-F                                                            

As of April 1, 2013, the Allamakee MHDS CPC Office became part of the County Social Services (CSS) region.  We continue to provide service coordination and funding for individuals with mental health and disabilities within our new regional structure.  Please visit the CSS region website for specific details.  www.countysocialservices.org



Brian T. Ridenour, P.E., County Engineer
Jeremy Bjerke, Assistant to the County Engineer
County Engineer’s Office
870 Fourth Street NW
PO Box 493
Waukon, IA 52172

Office Phone: (563)568-4574
Office FAX: (563)568-6904
Waukon Shop: (563)568-2736
Email: engineer@co.allamakee.ia.us
Hours: 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. M-F


In 1913, pursuant to the act of the 35th General Assembly, actual road work was mandatorily placed under the personal direction of the County Engineer. In 1929 the Bergman Secondary Road Act placed all township roads under the jurisdiction of the County Board of Supervisors and they were all called “secondary roads”. Since then County Engineers have recommended and worked closely with the Board of Supervisors to create a network of over 89,000 miles of Secondary Roads and 20,000 bridges in the State of Iowa. Today all Iowa County Engineers are required by law to be licensed professional engineers registered in the State of Iowa.

Responsibilities of the County Engineer:

• Designing, Planning and Maintaining of Secondary Roads, Bridges, and Culverts
• Preparing the Five Year Secondary Road Construction Program and Annual Report
• Administering Personnel
• Ordering Materials and Equipment
• Coordinating Project Funding, Lettings, and Contracts
• Union, Labor, and Insurance Negotiations
• Estimating, Engineering, and Accounting
• Hydrology and Environmental Studies
• Surveying and Platting of Landforms
• Rating Weight Limits on Bridges and Sign Management
• Inspection of Asphalt, Concrete, and Structures
• Maintaining Road Records and Inventories
• Purchasing Land for Road Projects
• Overseeing all Utility Placement in Right of Ways
• Overseeing Subdivision Platting in Rural Areas
• Driveway Entrance and Dust Control Permitting
• Maintaining and Construction of Maintenance Shop Buildings
• Coordination with Suppliers and Contractors
• Maintaining Drainage Patterns
• Brush and Weed Control
• Snow and Ice Control
• Directing Public Hearings
• Overseeing of Ordinances, Resolutions, and Policies
• Overseeing Roadside Management Practices
• Recognizing Property Owner Road Needs
• Recommending Various Secondary Road Improvements to the Board of Supervisors

Environmental Health

Environmental Health


Making an appointment with your desired office is highly recommended!

Contact Information:

Laurie M. Moody- Environmental Health Director/Sanitarian/Weed Commissioner
Courthouse 110 Allamakee Street    Waukon, Iowa 52172

Phone: 563-568-4104

Fax: 563-217-3820

Email: moody@co.allamakee.ia.us

Mandy O'Neill, Administrative Assistant

Email: moneill@co.allamakee.ia.us 

Job Duties:

Environmental Health Sanitarian

Issuing Permits /Private Septic / Private Well

Time of Transfer Certified Inspector

Public Water Supply (PWS) Testing

Private Water Well Testing

Tattoo Parlor Inspections

Public Swimming Pool/Spa Inspections

Weed Commissioner



Chris Fee

E-mail:  cfee@co.allamakee.ia.us

Phone:  (563)568-4603

What is VINE?

VINE is the nation’s leading victim notification network. It allows survivors, victims of crime, and other concerned citizens to access timely and reliable information about offenders or criminal cases in U.S. jails and prisons.

Register to receive automated notifications via email, text, or phone call, or check custody status information online at any time.

Available in 48 states and covering 2,900 incarceration facilities, VINE is a lifesaving service that offers peace of mind to millions of people every day.

Register Here

Geographic Information System


GIS in Allamakee County

In 1997, Allamakee County first embarked on a plan to develop and implement a Geographic Information System.  Then in 2002, the County entered into a contract with ProMap, a division of the Schneider Corporation, for the creation of several datasets including, but not limited to, lots, parcels, road and railroad centerlines, rights of way, voting districts, school districts, and drainage districts as well as the hosting of the County GIS website.  During this time, the Assessor’s Office also budgeted for and hired a GIS Coordinator whose responsibility is to create, manage, maintain, and update geographic information relative to Allamakee County.  Starting in April 2006, the contract with ProMap has been completed, and Allamakee County now has sole responsibility for maintaining, updating, and creating new datasets for the GIS system.  Schneider Corporation  continues to host the Allamakee County GIS website.

What is GIS?

The term “Geographic Information System” (commonly referred to as “GIS”) refers to a collection of digital information technologies capable of sorting and analyzing spatial and non-spatial data.  A GIS is composed of computer hardware and software, and array of data that may include maps, databases, photographs, and scanned document images.  Several “layers” of data can be displayed at one time allowing the viewer to see patterns or relationships between the datasets.  

A GIS can produce information that answers specific questions and allows one to share that information with others.  By visualizing relationships, connections, and patterns in data, one can make informed decisions and increase efficiency for the county.  The features and benefits of a well-structured GIS are enormous.  The volume of data that can be collected, classified and ranked, and analyzed is unlimited.  The county and municipal uses of data in a GIS can be equally unlimited.  Some examples include land records management, E-911 dispatch assistance, hydrology analysis, demographic projection, and voter registration.  

Relief Services

Relief Office            563-568-3591            rhawes@co.allamakee.ia.us

Rebecca Hawes – Director
110 Allamakee St
Waukon, IA 52172
Phone: 563-568-3591
Fax: 563-217-3016
Hours: 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM  

Who Qualifies

Allamakee County Relief Services provides assistance to needy and poor people in need of immediate assistance or people who cannot obtain assistance from any other source. Assistance is provided to an individual that has income or benefits delayed from a state program or not actually received because not attributable to the person, and who does not have liquid assets of the family unit to pay for the items of assistance that can be provided.


Kinds of Assistance

• Emergency assistance for needy persons
• Assistance for poor persons

Allamakee Relief Office provides assistance to people who need help with rent, food, medical, utilities, fuel, and medication. The assistance program is designed to provide short-term emergency type assistance to persons lacking the resources to meet their basic needs.

How to Apply

Call the office at (563)568-3591 to schedule an appointment. When you come for your appointment you will need to bring the following information: documentation of income, Social Security card, bills that you pay monthly, and any other information regarding your monthly situation.

Board of Supervisors

Members of the Board of Supervisors are:  

Larry Schellhammer, Term expires: 12-31-2022
Dan Byrnes, Term expires: 12-31-2022
Mark Reiser, Term expires: 12-31-2024

Contact the Board of Supervisors:  Phone: (563) 568-3522                                                                           

Email group at: boardofsupervisors@co.allamakee.ia.us

OR Email individually:                                                                                                               

Larry Schellhammer: lschellhammer@co.allamakee.ia.us

Mark Reiser:  mreiser@co.allamakee.ia.us

Dan Byrnes: dbyrnes@co.allamakee.ia.us 

FY23 Allamakee County Budget Public Hearing Notice for Maximum Property Tax and Public Hearing Notice for County budget

***If you have trouble with the Public Hearing links, try a different browser or try right-clicking and Open in New Window or Open in New Tab

March 19 Iowa Flood Center presentation RE: Upper Iowa Drainage District

Ordinance LV (amended 6/12/17) - All-Terrain Vehicles or Off-Road Utility Vehicles on Secondary Roads

FY20/21 Property tax levies

FY19/20 Property tax levies

FY18/19 Property tax levies

FY17/18 Property tax levies

FY16/17 Property tax levies

FY15/16 Property tax levies 

2021 Committee Assignments

Larry Schellhammer, Chairperson Board of SupervisorsDan Byrnes, Chairperson Pro-TemMark Reiser
Northeast Iowa Juvenile Detention Board

Allamakee County E911 Board

County Social Services Board of DirectorsAllamakee County Revolving Loan FundAllamakee County Farm
Allamakee County Economic Development Executive BoardAllamakee County Board of HealthAllamakee County Conservation Board

Board of Directors of Judicial District Dept. of Corrections

Allamakee County Substance Abuse Board28E Board
Resource, Conservation & Developement Board (RC & D)Iowa Workforce Development BoardDECAT Empowerment
 Alternate: Northeast Iowa Regional Housing Trust FundNEIA Community Action Executive BoardNortheast Iowa Behavioral Health Board
T-21 DOT Policy Board

NEIA Community Action Transit Board

Northeast Iowa Response Group
Upper Explorerland Regional Planning CommissionNortheast Iowa Area Agency on AgingT-21 Advisory Board
Upper Explorerland Regional Planning Commission Executive BoardUpper Iowa Watershed Management AuthorityNEIA Regional Housing Trust Fund
Regional Upper Explorerland Revolving Loan FundAlternate:  Board of Directors of Judicial District Dept. of Corrections
Upper Explorerland Regional Housing Authority Board

Allamakee County Historical Society

Alternate:  NE IA Juvenile Detention Board
Alternate: T-21 DOT Policy Board
Alternate: County Social Services Board of Directors

All board members represented on the following boards/committees:
      Conference Board
      County Economic Development
      Roadside Management
       Solid Waste
      Planning & Zoning Board

The Allamakee County Board of Supervisors is a three-member board. In Allamakee County the Supervisors are elected at large.

The Board of Supervisors meets every Monday starting at 9:30AM with 10 minutes for public comment followed by the agenda, and the meeting lasts until all business is done. Also the board meets as needed for special circumstances. The agenda is posted at the Courthouse by Friday at 9:30 am and also on the Allamakee County Web page. To get on the Supervisors Agenda, you need to contact the Auditors Office by 3:00 PM Thursday, before the Monday meeting. If you will provide copies of any documents to the Supervisors, please bring an extra copy for their Clerk.

Besides having a scheduled Monday meeting, each Supervisor sits on other Boards throughout the County, area Counties, and State. Each takes an active part for promoting and protecting the citizens of the county. SEE LIST OF COMMITTEE ASSIGNMENTS ABOVE.

Duties of the Supervisors are:
• Adopting a county budget. This process begins every January, with budget adpoted every March, with each department head having input.
• Responsible for the construction and maintenance of the county’s road/bridge system.
• Levies taxes to raise revenues for county purposes.
• Attending meetings for county representation.
• Union negotiations.


110 Allamakee St Waukon, IA 52172

Welcome to the Allamakee County

Treasurers Office!

We provide Property Tax collection, Motor Vehicle titling & registration and Driver License issuance in our office.

We strive to provide courteous, professional service to our customers & will be happy to assist you with any questions you may have.  It is my hope that this site will give you the opportunity to access us 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week. 

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or comments.  Thank You!

Jenny O'Neill
Allamakee Co. Treasurer

To make on-line property tax and vehicle registration payments, click HERE for more information.




Our hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m, Monday-Friday

All Driver's License, Identification Cards, & Testing are by appointment only.  Please call our office to schedule an appointment.

Veterans' Affairs


Veterans' Affairs


Signs with public health guidelines will be expected to be followed when in the common areas of the courthouse for social distancing requirements.  While masks are not required in the hallways, their use is recommended. Courthouse staff wish to THANK EVERYONE for their patience and willingness to follow healthy practices while we get through this experience together!!

Making an appointment with your desired office is highly recommended!

Veteran’s Affairs Office  563-568-6135  hhomewood@co.allamakee.ia.us

  • No more than 2 members of the public will be allowed inside the office at one time due to confidentiality reasons. Others must wait outside or in the hallway
  • Appointments are highly recommended to reduce waiting time
  • Phone calls are also recommended to complete some business  
  • No clients will be allowed to go beyond the waiting area unless approved by staff
  • Mask are recommended to be worn when inside the office.
  • Masks will be available if necessary (in limited quantity)
  • The VA van will NOT be making trips to Iowa City until directed to do so by the VA itself. It is unknown when that program will resume at this time.

To ensure social distancing, clients are encouraged to make appointments by calling or emailing the office. By providing a cell phone# or email, clients may wait in their vehicle or outside and be notified when the office is available to enter. They can also mail items to: Veteran’s Affairs Office 110 Allamakee Street, Waukon, IA 52172

Contact Information:
Heather Homewood, Director
Buffy McGeough, Administrative Assitant

110 Allamakee St
Waukon, Iowa 52172
Office: 563-568-6135
Fax: 563-568-2451
Email: hhomewood@co.allamakee.ia.us

Office Hours 8:00a.m. - 12:00n/1:00p.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Allamakee County Office

Allamakee County Veterans' Affairs Office is a service office, who works with honorably discharged veterans, their spouses, and eligible dependants. The Commission of Veterans Affairs and office was established per Chapter 35B of the Code of Iowa. Allamakee County Veterans Affairs offers assistance in making application for a wide range of benefits to our veterans, service members and their families. We help fill out a large array of forms for pension, compensations, grave markers, burial benifits, life insurance, health benefits, request military records/medals, and much more. We also provide temporary emergency assistance for basic needs to veterans and their families. Some of these programs include assistance with: rent, food, burial, utilities, emergency medical. Please see us for guidelines and requirements. Allamakee County Veterans Affairs also coordinates a van that travels to the Iowa City VA Medical Center Tues.-Fri. picking up from five different counties. If you are in our pick up area please call our office directly to schedule your transportation. We also contract a licensed counselor to provide local counseling for veterans and their spouses. These services are available three days per month located in Waukon. For more information on this program please call Allamakee County Veterans Affair. You may also purchase new flags at our office or bring old flags in for disposal. Upon request, military Honor Guard for military funerals is available in all towns in Allamakee County.


Disability Benefits- There are two disability programs administered by VA. Both pay monthly benefits to disabled veterans.

Disability Compensation: You may be eligible to receive monetary compensation if you rate at least 10% disabled as a result of an injury or illness that was incurred or aggravated during your military service.

Disability Pension: You may be eligible for a monthly pension if you are a veteran whose service included one day during a wartime with limited income, and you are no longer able to work or are age 65 or older.

Education & Training- Benefits are paid to eligible veterans, dependents, reservists, and service members while they are in an approved training program. The VA’s Major Programs are:

Montgomery GI Bill: Eligibility generally expires 10 years after the service members most recent discharge. However, there are exceptions for disability, re-entering active duty, and upgraded discharges. Discharges must be fully honorable.

Post 9/11GI Bill: The Post 9/11 GI Bill is for service members and veterans who served on active duty on or after Sept. 11, 2001. Benefits are payable for training pursued on or after Aug. 1, 2009. No payments can be made under this program for training pursued before that date.

Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (VEAP): This Program is for veterans who entered active duty for the first time after Dec. 31, 1976, and before July 1, 1985, and contributed funds to this program.

Survivors’ & Dependents Educational Assistance: Some family members of disabled or deceased veterans are eligible for education benefits.

Veterans Retraining Assistance Program: VRAP offers up to 12 months of training assistance to Veterans. Requirements - Are at least 35 but no more than 60 years old, Are unemployed on the date of application, Received an other than dishonorable discharge, Are not be eligible for any other VA education benefit program (e.g.: the Post-9/11 GI Bill, Montgomery GI Bill, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Assistance), Are not in receipt of VA compensation due to unemployability, Are not enrolled in a federal or state job training program

Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment – Veterans with service connected disabilities may be eligible for assistance with finding and keeping suitable employment. For veterans with serious service-connected disabilities, the VA also offers services to improve their ability to live as independently a possible. Some of the services are:

Job Search: Assistance in finding and maintaining suitable employment.

Vocational Evaluation: an evaluation of abilities, skills, interests, and needs.

Career Exploration: Vocational counseling and planning.

Vocational Training: If needed, training such as on–the-job and non-paid work experience.

Education Training: If needed, education training to accomplish the rehabilitation goal.

Rehabilitation Services: Supportive rehabilitation and counseling services.

Time limits: You generally have 12 years from the date you are notified in writing that you have at least a 10% rating for a service-connected disability.

Home Loans- A VA guaranty helps protect your private lender from loss if you should default on that loan.

It can be used to obtain a loan to :

  1. 1.      Buy or build a home

  2. 2.      Buy a residential condominium unit

  3. 3.      Buy a residential cooperative housing unit

  4. 4.      Repair, alter, or improve a residence owned by the veteran and occupied as a home

  5. 5.      Refinance an existing home loan

  6. 6.      Buy a manufactured home and /or lot.

  7. 7.       Install a solar heating or cooling system or other energy-efficient improvements

    Dependents and Survivors Benefits-

    Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC): Payable to survivors of veterans who died on Active Duty, died from a service connected disability, or certain veterans who were being paid 100% VA compensation at the time of death.

    Death Pension: is payable to some surviving spouses and dependent children of wartime veterans. The benefit is paid on financial need.

    VA Health Care- Veterans who started active duty after Sept. 8, 1980 must have 24 months of continues active duty. Priority is given to former POW’s, Purple Heart and Medal of Honor Recipients, individuals with service-connected disability ratings, individuals exposed to Ionizing Radiation or Agent Orange, individuals determined to be catastrophically disabled, individuals eligible for VA Pension or Medicaid, and veterans below the geographic means test income threshold.

    Burial Benefits- VA offers certain benefits and services to honor our nation’s deceased veterans.

    Headstones and Markers: The VA will furnish a headstone, marker or medallion to mark the grave of an eligible veteran.

    Presidential Memorial Certificate: are issued upon request to recognize the military service of an honorably discharge veterans.

    Burial Flag: The VA provides an American flag to drape an eligible veterans casket.

    Reimbursement of Burial Expenses:  If the veteran was receiving compensation or pension at the time of death or passed away in a VA facility, VA will pay burial and funeral allowance of $300 and $700 plot allowance. If the veterans death is service-connected, the VA will pay a burial allowance of up to $2,000.

    Burial in National or State Cemetery: Burial is free for the veteran; there is usually a charge for the spouse.

    Vet Centers provide readjustment counseling, counseling for PTSD, marital counseling, substance abuse information and referrals, community education. There are Vet Centers located in all states which provide counseling service in addition to those offered at VA Medical Centers.


    Iowa Injured Veteran Grant- This grant provides up to $10,000 to members or former members of the U.S. military who are residents of Iowa and were seriously injured in the Iraq or Afghanistan theatre of operation.

    Homeownership Assistance- This $5,000 grant is available to a service member who is buying a home in the state of Iowa. Members must have served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001 and purchased a home after March 10, 2005.

    Property Tax Exemption - This benefit reduces a veteran’s assessed home value for property tax purposes by $1,850. In order to qualify, a service member must have served on active duty during a period of war or for a minimum of 18 months during peacetime.

    Disabled Veteran’s Homestead Tax Credit- This recently-enacted legislation (2014) provides 100% exemption of property taxes for 100% disabled service-connected veterans and Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) recipients.

    Lifetime Hunting and Fishing- Veterans in receipt of at least a 0% service connected disability can receive a lifetime hunting or fishing license for a $7.00 fee. In order to qualify, the Iowa resident must have served on active federal service and was disabled as a result of that service.

    License Plates- Honorably discharged veterans (as defined in the Code of Iowa 35.1) are eligible to purchase specialty veteran license plates for their vehicle. These special plates are available for an additional charge through the Iowa Department of Transportation.

    Iowa Veterans Trust Fund- The State of Iowa has established a multi-million dollar fund to provide certain services to veterans. Beginning in December 2007, interest from this fund has been available to provide relief for Iowa veterans and their families. At this time, interest funds are received monthly and approved applicants are placed on a waiting list based on the date received and approved. Currently, funds are used for unemployment or underemployment assistance due to service-related causes, assistance with vision, hearing, dental care, durable medical equipment, and prescription drugs; counseling and substance abuse services; housing repair; and transitional housing in an emergency. Trust fund expenditures are approved through the Iowa Veterans Commission.

    Education- The Iowa Department of Education has been designated by the governor of the state of Iowa as the location for the Iowa State Approving Agency. The State Approving Agency is responsible for approving all GI Bill programs in Iowa for veterans and other eligible persons. (Program approval is a function of the State not the Department of Veterans Affairs.)

    Iowa Guard Tuition Benefits- Present Iowa National Guard members in good standing are eligible for up to $2,700 per semester for full time enrollment. Part-time students are eligible for $196 per semester hour. Additionally, Guard members who are mobilized will receive a tuition refund.

    Operation Recognition High School- This program furnishes an honorary high school diploma to qualifying veterans who did not complete high school (in Iowa) due to armed service enlistment. The application form is used by the IDVA and the Department of Education to establish eligibility for honorably discharged veterans.

    Iowa Veterans Cemetery- The Iowa Veterans Cemetery began operation on July 3, 2008. Located 10 miles west of Des Moines, near Van Meter, the cemetery is available to all veterans, their spouses, and dependent children for burial. Honorably discharged veterans will be interred at no charge and spouses/dependents will be buried for a $300 fee.

    Iowa Veterans Home- Located in Marshalltown Iowa, providing a continuum of care to Iowa’s Veterans and their spouses in an environment focusing on individualized services to enhance their quality of life.

    Veterans Designation on Iowa Drivers Licenses and Ids-Honorably discharged veterans may request the “Veteran” designation be placed on their driver’s license or non-operator identification card. Veteran must present a copy of their DD214 or applicable discharge document to the County or State Veterans Affairs Office to have their eligibility certified. That office and the veteran will complete an Iowa DOT Application form. Note: Veterans may request the “veteran” designation ONLY at time of license renewal.

    War Orphan Tuition Assistance- Children of Iowa veterans killed in action following September 11, 2001 are eligible for up to $11,844.00 per year in tuition assistance at an Iowa post-secondary institution. Children qualify up to the age of twenty-six (26). Dependents of those killed in action prior to September 11, 2001 are eligible for $600 per year with a maximum of $3,000. Residency is required to receive this benefit.

    Branstad/Reynolds Scholarship Fund- The Branstad-Reynolds Scholarship fund provides post-secondary educational scholarships for children of deceased military service members who died while in an active military status after September 11, 2001. The Scholarship is administered by the Community Foundation of Greater Des Moines.

    Military Retirement Tax Exemption- This recently-enacted legislation (2014) exempts federal retirement pay received for military service and survivor benefits from state individual income tax.

    Committed to Serve Those Who Served for Us

    ***** Non-Allamakee veterans please contact your county Veterans Affairs Office*****

House Hold Hazardous Materials


Winneshiek County Recycling

2510 172nd Ave, Decorah, IA 52101
Call 563-382-6514


H Take to HHM

D Pour down drain (if connected
to sanitary sewer)

T Place in trash

U Unacceptable waste


Garage & Workshop

Acetone H
Artist’s paint & media H
Antifreeze H
Autobody repair products H
Automobile oil H
Battery acid H
Brake fluid H
Car wax, solvent-based H
Contact cement H
Driveway sealer H
Fiberglass epoxy H
Fluorescent light bulbs H
Gasoline/oil mixtures H
Gasoline & other fuels H
Glue, solvent-based H
Glue, water-based H
Joint compound H
Kerosene H
Lighter fluid H
Nonautomotive oils H
Oil filters H
Paint, latex H
Paint, oil-based H
Paint thinner H
Paint stripper H
Parts cleaner H
Photographic chemicals H
Rust remover H
Shellac H
Stain H
Transmission fluid H
Turpentine H
Varnish H
Windshield washer solution D
Wood filler H
Wood preservative H

Unacceptable Waste

Compressed gas cylinders
(freon) U
Explosives (shotgun shells,fireworks, gunpowder) U
Infectious/biological waste U
Radioactive materials U
Shock-sensitive/heatsensitive materials(peroxide, picric acid)U
Hazardous waste from small/large quantity generatorbusinesses*U

* Note: Businesses that qualify asVery Small Quantity Generators(VSQG) can use the HHM programfor a fee. VSQGs must pre-register and schedule an appointment before bringing materials to the collection facility. Call HHM collection sites for further information.

Kitchen & Bathroom

Alcohol-based lotions(perfume, aftershave) D
Bleach D
Cleaners, ammonia-based D
Cleaners, solvent-based H
Cosmetics T
Disinfectants H
Drain cleaner D
Floor care products H
Hair remover H
Medicine (liquid) T
Nail polish H
Nail polish remover H
Oven cleaner H
Permanent wave solution D
Skin cream T
Thermometers (mercury) H
Toilet bowl cleaner D
Tub & tile cleaner D
Window cleaner D

Home & Garden

Aerosol cans, full H
Batteries, alkaline T
Batteries, button H
Batteries, rechargeable H
Dry cleaning solvent H
Fertilizer (without pesticides) T
Fertilizer (with pesticides) H
Fungicide H
Furniture polish H
Insect spray H
Light ballasts H
Metal polish, solvent-based H
Mothballs H
Pesticides H
Pool chemicals H
Rat poison H
Shoe polish H
Spot remover H
Stump remover H
Thermostats (mercury) H
Weed killer H

Proper Disposal

• Give leftover materials such as paint thinner and paint to someone who will use them up for their intended purpose.

• Never pour oil, antifreeze, or other hazardous materials on the ground, into stormsewers, or down the drain.

• Take hazardous products that you cannot use up or give away to one of the HHM Collection sites. (A product exchange program that provides residents access to unused items is available at each facility.)

Township Officials

Entity NameTitleNameTerm ExpiresAddressCity, State, ZIP
Center TownshipClerkMichele Troendle20221662 Garden DrLansing, IA 52151
Center TownshipTrusteeKenneth Johnson20221889 Dry Ridge DrLansing, IA 52151
Center TownshipTrusteeDennis Nebendahl20221618 Dalby Hollow RoadWaterville, IA 52170
Center TownshipTrusteeBrad Larkin20241404 Hartong DrLansing, IA 52151
Fairview TownshipClerkSamantha Donahue2022481 State Hwy 76Harpers Ferry, IA 52146
Fairview TownshipTrusteeRussell Jones2022302 Ion RoadHarpers Ferry, IA 52146
Fairview TownshipTrusteeTom Mc Cormick2024296 Smokey Hollow RdHarpers Ferry, IA 52146
Fairview TownshipTrusteeWilliam Moody2024450 Moody Ridge RdHarpers Ferry, IA 52146
Franklin TownshipClerkDiane Kraus2022828 Goldenrod DrivePostville, IA 52162
Franklin TownshipTrusteeLarry Lamborn2022224 Franklin RdLuana, IA 52156
Franklin TownshipTrusteeColeen Martins2022954 Jackson Hollow DrLuana, IA 52156
Franklin TownshipTrusteeCurtis Kraus2024828 Goldenrod DrivePostville, IA 52162
French Creek TownshipClerkRobert Hager20222026 Lycurgus RdWaukon, IA 52172
French Creek TownshipTrusteeTom Weighner20222397 Green Leaf RdDorchester, IA 52140
French Creek TownshipTrusteeTyler Plein20242069 Rainbow RdLansing, IA 52151
French Creek TownshipTrusteeJeff Leppert20241267 French Creek DrLansing, IA 52151
Hanover TownshipClerkRobert J Larkin20222136 Down Home RdDorchester, IA 52140
Hanover TownshipTrusteeMark Howe2022388 Red Bud DrWaukon, IA 52172
Hanover TownshipTrusteeDustin Byrnes2024653 Sumac DrDorchester, IA 52140
Hanover TownshipTrusteeJoel Thorson2024179 Bear Creek DrDorchester, IA 52140
Iowa TownshipClerkRobin Harmon20222930 Cemetery RoadNew Albin, IA 52160
Iowa TownshipTrusteeDon Zoll20221519 Pine Tree DrNew Albin, IA 52160
Iowa TownshipTrusteeMike Reburn20221666 Sunrise CtNew Albin, IA 52160
Iowa TownshipTrusteeJohn Gibbs20241407 Pine Tree DrNew Albin, IA 52160
Jefferson TownshipClerkMichelle Donahue20221028 Jefferson RoadWaukon, IA 52172
Jefferson TownshipTrusteeGreg Kerndt20221075 Four Corners RdWaukon, IA 52172
Jefferson TownshipTrusteeBradley Winkie20221622 9th St SWWaukon, IA 52172
Jefferson TownshipTrusteeHarlan Yohe2024966 Hwy 76Waukon, IA 52172
Lafayette TownshipClerkMary Delaney20221618 River View RdLansing, IA 52151
Lafayette TownshipTrusteeDan Conway20221349 Red Oak RdLansing, IA 52151
Lafayette TownshipTrusteeMark Kruse20222601 Lafayette Ridge DrLansing, IA 52151
Lafayette TownshipTrusteeRay Mullarkey20242538 Mullarkey Hill DrLansing, IA 52151
Lansing TownshipClerkNathan R Aldrich20222002 High Point RoadLansing, IA 52151
Lansing TownshipTrusteeBen Mettille20221570 State Hwy 9Lansing, IA 52151
Lansing TownshipTrusteeDaryl Gruber20242193 Spruce Line RdLansing, IA 52151
Lansing TownshipTrusteeGreg Rea20241502 Hwy 9Lansing, IA 52151
Linton TownshipClerkDavid D Cahoon20221496 Cahoon DrMonona, IA 52159
Linton TownshipTrusteeDan Cahoon20221492 Cahoon DrMonona, IA 52159
Linton TownshipTrusteeSue Rose2022302 Watson RdMonona, IA 52159
Linton TownshipTrusteeMike Lloyd2024660 State Hwy 76Harpers Ferry, IA 52146
Ludlow TownshipClerkAudrey Peterson20221036 Hwy 51Waukon, IA 52172
Ludlow TownshipTrusteeRandy Kruger2022290 Picnic Woods DriveWaukon, IA 52172
Ludlow TownshipTrusteeLars Palmer2022418 Rodayo DrWaukon, IA 52172
Ludlow TownshipTrusteeTodd Snitker2024276 Picnic Woods DrWaukon, IA 52172
Makee TownshipClerkWilliam Steffenson20221582 Dug RdWaukon, IA 52172
Makee TownshipTrusteeAdam D Bieber2022814 E Main StWaukon, IA 52172
Makee TownshipTrusteeBrad G Berns20221133 Burke Hollow DrWaukon, IA 52172
Makee TownshipTrusteeRobert Hanson20241148 Round Prairie DrWaukon, IA 52172
Paint Creek TownshipClerkVirgil Thorstenson20221425 Brookside DrMonona, IA 52159
Paint Creek TownshipTrusteeLori Johanningmeier20221129 Chimney Rock RdWaterville, IA 52170
Paint Creek TownshipTrusteeKent Mc Cormick20221811 Gronna DrWaterville, IA 52170
Paint Creek TownshipTrusteeTerry Oesterle20241031 Maud RdWaukon, IA 52172
Post TownshipClerkCindy Berns2022580 Bethel RdPostville, IA 52162
Post TownshipTrusteeBill Chrisofferson2022258 Williams Creek RdPostville, IA 52162
Post TownshipTrusteeRichard Berns2022580 Bethel RdPostville, IA 52162
Post TownshipTrusteeAngie Mohs2024391 Hwy 51Postville, IA 52162
Taylor TownshipClerkTom Cota2022759 Paint Rock RoadHarpers Ferry, IA 52146
Taylor TownshipTrusteeRon Cota20221006 Winfield RoadHarpers Ferry, IA 52146
Taylor TownshipTrusteeMichael Collins20241203 Collins Ridge RdHarpers Ferry, IA 52146
Taylor TownshipTrusteeEric Weymiller20242047 Sandvold DrHarpers Ferry, IA 52146
Union City TownshipClerkCharlene Paus20222868 Church RdDorchester, IA 52140
Union City TownshipTrusteeGeorge Beardmore20221042 Iowa River DrDorchester, IA 52140
Union City TownshipTrusteeTim Paus20242868 Church RdDorchester, IA 52140
Union City TownshipTrusteeAlan Heitman20242764 Wheatland RdNew Albin, IA 52160
Union Prairie TownshipClerkTony Baxter20221558 West Ridge RdWaukon, IA 52172
Union Prairie TownshipTrusteePerry P Fahey2022420 Patterson Creek DrWaukon, IA 52172
Union Prairie TownshipTrusteeJamie Dougherty2024647 Patterson Creek DrWaukon, IA 52172
Union Prairie TownshipTrusteeBernard H Berns2024424 Rolling Meadow DrWaukon, IA 52172
Waterloo TownshipClerkDavid Schulte20222740 Schulte RdDorchester, IA 52140
Waterloo TownshipTrusteeJeffrey S Tyribakken20222879 N View RdDorchester, IA 52140
Waterloo TownshipTrusteeTodd Passig20222728 Stenbach RdDorchester, IA 52140
Waterloo TownshipTrusteeStephanie Gulbranson20242874 North View RdDorchester, IA 52140

Emergency Management

Emergency Management


Corey Snitker, Coordinator

877 HWY 9

Waukon, IA 52172

Office Phone Number 563-568-4233

Email is: csnitker@co.allamakee.ia.us

Allamakee County Technical Rescue ATR Team  click for training Page

Allamakee County Alert Iowa Emergency Alert Message System

Please click the below link to access website: 

Recorder's Office


Deb Winke, Recorder          563-568-2364         


Thank you for visiting the Allamakee County Recorder’s Office Webpage.

The basic duty of the County Recorder is to maintain official records of documents affecting title to real estate.  Our office also works with vital records, Marriage licenses, DNR licenses, boat, ATV, off-road motorcycles, and snowmobile registrations. 

It is our goal to provide accurate information to the public, either in person or on-line.

  • Individuals are encouraged to go on-line to research recorded documents at https://iowalandrecords.org for records 1979 to the present instead of doing research in the vault.


Historical Website.  Coming soon. 

The Recorder’s Office is working on project to digitize a large volume of documents to be placed on a Historic Website with documents from 1850 – 1980 from a link on our County’s Website.  We are working with Cott Systems Inc out of Columbus, Ohio. The cost of the project will be paid for by the American Rescue Plan Act & no County tax dollars will be used.  Come back soon and check it out!

Assessor's Office

General Information about the Assessor

General Information about the Assessor

Assessors are appointed to their position by a Conference Board consisting of the members of the Board of Supervisors, the Mayors of all incorporated cities and a member from each school district within the jurisdiction. A city with a population of ten-thousand or more may elect to have their own assessor. Assessors are required, by statute, to pass a state examination and complete a Continuing Education Program consisting of 150 hours of formal classroom instruction with 90 hours tested and a passing grade of 70% attained. The latter requirement must be met in order for the assessor to be re-appointed to the position every six years. The Deputy Assessor also must pass a state examination as well as successfully complete ninety hours of classroom instruction of at least sixty hours are tested. The Conference Board approves the assessor's budget and after a public hearing acts on adoption of same. The assessor is limited, by statute, depending upon the value of the jurisdiction, to a levy limitation for his budget.

What are the Assessor's Duties?

The assessor is charged with several administrative and statutory duties; however, the primary duty and responsibility is to cause to be assessed all real property within his/her jurisdiction except that which is otherwise provided by law. This would include residential, commercial, multi-residential, industrial, and agricultural classes of property. Real property is revalued every two years. The effective date of the assessment is January 1st of the current year. The assessor determines a full or partial value of new construction, or improvements depending upon the state of completion as of January 1st.

How does the Assessor Estimate Market Value?

To estimate the market value of your property, the Assessor generally uses three approaches.  The first approach is to find properties that are comparable to yours which have sold recently.  Local conditions peculiar to your property are taken into consideration.  The assessor also uses sales ratio studies to determine the general level of assessment in a community, in order to adjust for local conditions.  This method is generally referred to as the MARKET APPROACH and usually considered the most important in determining the value of residential property.  The second approach is the COST APPROACH and is an estimate of how many dollars at current labor and material prices it would take to replace your property with one similar to it.  In the event improvement is not new appropriate amounts for depreciation and obsolescence would be deducted from replacement value.  Value of the land then would be added to arrive to the total estimate of value.  The INCOME APPROACH is the third method used if your property produces income such as an apartment or office building.  In that case, your property could be valued according to its ability to produce income under prudent management; in other words, what another investor would give for a property in order to gain its income.  The income approach is the most complex of the three approaches because of the research, information and analysis, necessary for an accurate estimate of value.  This method requires thorough knowledge of local and national financial conditions, as well as any developmental trends in the area of the subject properly being appraised since errors or inaccurate information can seriously affect the final estimate of value.

Why do values change?

State law requires that all real property be reassessed every two years. The current law requires the reassessment to occur in odd numbered years. Changes in market value as indicated by research, sales ratio studies arid analysis of local conditions as well as economic trends both in and outside the construction industry are used in determining your assessment.

If you disagree with the assessor's estimate of value, please consider these two questions before proceeding, as outlined below:


1. What is the actual market value of my property?


2. How does the value compare to similar properties in the neighborhood?


A. If you have any questions about the assessment of your property, feel free to come in and discuss it with the assessor.


B. You may file a written protest with the Board of Review which is composed of three or five members from various areas of the assessing jurisdiction. The Board operates independently of the assessor's office, and has the power to confirm or to adjust either upward or downward any assessment.


C. If you are not satisfied with the decision of the Board of Review you may appeal to the Property Assessment Appeals Board or district court within twenty days after adjournment of said Board, or twenty days after May 31st whichever is the latest.

Tax Levies and Assessed Values

There are a number of different taxing districts in a jurisdiction, each with a different levy. Each year the County Auditor determines for that district a levy that will yield enough money to pay for schools, police and fire protection, road maintenance and other services budgeted for in that area. The tax levy is applied to each $1,000 of a property's taxable value. The value determined by the assessor is the assessed value and is the value indicated on the assessment roll. The taxable value is the value determined by the auditor after application of state-ordered "rollback" percentages for the various classes of property and is the value indicated on the tax statement. When comparing the value of your property with other properties always compare with the value on the assessment roll or the assessor's property record cards and not the value indicated on the tax statement.

Exemptions and Credits

Iowa law provides for a number of exemptions and credits, including Homestead Credit and Military Exemption. It is the property owner's responsibility to apply for these as provided by law.

 If the property you were occupying as a homestead is sold, or if you cease to use the property as a homestead you are required to report this to the assessor in whose jurisdiction the property is located.

Dates to Remember

January 1 - Effective date of current assessment.

April 2-25 Taxpayers may request informal review of assessment by assessor.

April 2 through April 30 inclusive - Protest of assessment period for filing with the local Board of Review.

May 1 through adjournment - Board of Review meets each year.

October 9 through October 31 inclusive -Protest period for filing with Board of Review on those properties affected by changes in value as a result of the Director of Revenue Equalization Orders (odd numbered years).

October 10 through November 15 Board of Review meets to hear equalization protests.

Assessor's Office

Credits and Exemptions

If you have any questions regarding these exemptions, please contact this office. click here to go to the main page

Credits & Exemptions

*Annual Filing Required


 Filing Date

 Code Section

Barn Preservation The barn must have been constructed prior to 1937 and be used for the storage of farm products or feed or for the housing of farm animals or farm equipment. The exemption is only for value added due to improvements or remodeling.Feb. 1


 Disabled Veterans Homestead Credit

 Acquired property under the provision of United States Code 38 U.S. C §21.801, §21.802 or 38 or are a veteran as defined in Iowa Code Section 35.1 with a service-connected disability rating of 100% or a former member of the National Guard of any state who otherwise meets the service requirements of Iowa Code section 35.1 subsection 2, paragraph "b", subsection (2) or (7), with a service-connected disability rating of 100%, or a surviving spouse or child who is receiving dependency and indemnity compensation pursuant to 38 U. S. C §1301 et seg. July 1 425.15
 Exempt Property - Religious, Literary, and Charitable Societies All grounds and buildings used by literary, charitable, benevolent, and religious institutions and societies that are used solely for their appropriate purpose. Property may not be leased or otherwise used with a view to profit. Feb. 1 427.1 (14)
 Family Farm Tax CreditThe credit is for tracts of land that are more than 10 acres and are assessed as agricultural property. The land must be farmed by the owner or a qualifying individual. Nov. 1 425A.4
 Forest Reservation Two hundred trees per acre with a two acre minimum. No economic gain is allowed on qualified acres. Feb. 1 427C.3
 Fruit Tree Reservation Must be at least 1 acre nor more than ten acres with 40 apple trees or 70 other fruit trees per acre. Feb. 1 427C.3
Geothermal Heating & Cooling System Property Tax ExemptionExemption applies to value added by any new or refitted construction or installation of a geothermal heating or cooling system, on or after July 1, 2012 on property classified as residential.Feb. 1427.1(38)
 Homestead Credit Must be a resident of Iowa and dwelling must be the principal residence of the property owner. July 1 425.2
 Impoundment Structures* The impoundment must contain at least 18 acre-feet of water, be outside of a city limits and be used for agricultural purposes to qualify for exemption. Feb. 1 427.1(20)

 Industrial Property

 Property must be an industrial warehouse, distribution center or research facility to qualify. Feb. 1 427B.4
 Military Exemption Must have served active duty (other than training) during a qualifying period and be a resident of Iowa. July 1 426A.13
 Mobile Home Park Storm Shelter Only for storm shelter buildings in mobile home parks.  Feb. 1 427.1(30)
 Native Prairie and Wetlands* The first annual application shall be accompanied by a certificate from the department of natural resources stating that the land is native prairie or protected wetland. Feb. 1 427.1(23)
 One-Room School House The increase in assessed value added to a one-room schoolhouse as a result of improvements made to the structure for purposes of preserving the integrity of the internal and external features of the structure as a one-room schoolhouse is exempt from taxation.   Feb. 1 427.1(32)
 Pollution Control and Recycling The application for pollution control or recycling property shall be accompanied by a certificate from the environmental protection division of the Iowa DNR.

 Feb. 1 427.1(19)
 Urban Revitalization Qualifying structures located in a Urban Revitalization District will receive an exemption based upon the schedule set up by each city council.  Feb. 1 404.4
 Wildlife Habitat Agricultural landowners may designate not more than two acres of the land for use as a wildlife habitat. The Iowa DNR shall certify the designated land as a wildlife habitat. Feb. 1 427.1(24)

Allamakee Substance Abuse Prevention

110 Allamakee Street Waukon, Iowa 52172 | (563) 568-2204

Our Mission:
It is the mission of ASAP to reduce the rate and effects of substance use and abuse in Allamakee County. We believe that through an asset-building approach to education, information, and early intervention, we can prevent substance abuse, therefore, enhancing and improving the lives of the citizens of Allamakee County.

Jean Bossom,  Coordinator(563) 568-2204

Maxine Grotegut, SPF-SIG Coordinator (563)568-2204


A County and Community funded agency serving Allamakee County for over 27 years.

ASAP has been in existence in Allamakee County since 1984. We are a substance abuse prevention program that is funded by the Allamakee County Board of Supervisors, an Iowa State Grant, and various local contributors. ASAP provides substance abuse education, information, consultation, resource and referral services for Allamakee County communities and residents. Our philosophy is based on the Asset-Building approach of the Search Institute. We believe that substance abuse prevention and building assets should be fun and exciting. We strive to do activities and lessons that are both fun and educational. ASAP offers a great, free resource to Allamakee County. Call to schedule a presentation, program, or event today!

Assessor's Office


Assessor's Office

Contact Information


Contact Information


Deb Winke – County Recorder
Karen Mathis  – 1st Deputy
Michele Huinker - 2nd Deputy

110 Allamakee St
Waukon, IA 52172

Phone: 563-568-2364
Fax: 563-568-6419
Email: dwinke@co.allamakee.ia.us

Hours: 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM



  • Record & maintain documents affecting title to real estate
  • Register & title boats, snowmobiles and ATV's/ORV's
  • Record vital records (Birth, Death & Marriage) and issue certified copies
  • Issue Marriage Licenses
  • Military Service Records
  • Issue various types of Hunting & Fishing licenses
  • Miscellaneous Responsibilities

Land & Record Management

Maintains all land records, relating to property in Allamakee County, Iowa.

  • Document Formatting Standards (pdf)
  • Recording Fees (pdf)
  • Deeds
  • Contracts
  • Mortgages
  • Assignments & Releases
  • Federal & State Tax Liens
  • Affidavits
  • Plats & Surveys
  • Section Corner Certificates
  • Military Service Records
  • Easements
  • Condemnations
  • Trade Names
  • Leases  
  • 28E & Drainage Agreements
  • Miscellaneous Documents
  • Bill of Sale

Indexes of recorded documents are available for viewing on-line at: http://iowalandrecords.org   Images starting with January 1979 are available for public viewing and prior records will become available once they go through a redaction process. The Iowa County Recorders Association retained the services of Computing System Innovations (CSI) Apopka FL for our redaction process.

Iowa Land Records is the official statewide website sponsored by Iowa County Recorders.

Time of Transfer Groundwater Inspection Law

The Iowa "Time of Transfer" inspection requirement became effective July 1, 2009.  Information on the requirements for inspections can be found within Chapter 69, Private Sewage Disposal Systems, specifically Sec. 567-69.2 (455.B).  

As of July 1, 2009, All properties that are going to be sold and/or transferred that include a private wastewater treatment and/or water supply must have these facilities inspected  and any deficiencies addressed before the sale/transfer takes place. The inspections and statements must be recorded with the Allamakee County Recorders Office at the time of legal transfer.

Military Service Records

Discharge papers (DD214’s) may be recorded for permanent records and certified to perfect claims. In order to obtain a certified copy the original document must be presented for recording. The DD214 must be Recorded  before military exemption is applied toward property tax reduction.

Effective July 1, 2003, all military personnel records maintained by the county recorder have become confidential records. Unless otherwise provided by the veteran, the record shall not be made available for examination or copying except as follows:

  • To the Veteran
  • To the Veteran’s immediate family
  • Veteran’s agent or personal representative
  • Licensed funeral director
  • When ordered by a court of competent jurisdiction
  • When required by a department or agency of the federal or state government
  • When requested record occurred more than 75 years prior to the request

Miscellaneous Responsibilities

  • Collect real estate transfer on conveyance of property (a portion is retained in the County's general fund.)
  • Perform Federal and State tax lien searches and assist the public in research of real estate records.
  • Collect and report Auditor's fee on transfer of property.
  • Certify Recorder's records.
  • Make records available for genealogy research.
  • File detailed reports monthly, quarterly and annually to the County.
  • Monthly reports to the following state agencies:

               Iowa Dept of Public Health
               Iowa Dept of Natural Resources
               Iowa Dept of Revenue

Licenses, Registrations, Applications

Boat Registrations, Titles & Liens

Boat registrations expire on April 30, 2022.   Boats have a three year renewal registration.  Boat registrations will started to be renewed January 1st 2022.  There is a $5.00 penalty  on all delinquent boat.  Boat fees are based on the length of the boat.  All boats over 17' in length must have a title.  Boats with a lien must be titled.  

To make application for a New Boat (Newly Manufactured) 

  • Application needs to be filled out
  • Proof of Purchase or bill of sale indicating if the tax has been paid
  • Manufacturer's statement of origin (MSO)

To make application for a boat New to Iowa (sold to an Iowa customer by a seller in another state)

  • Application needs to be filled out
  • Proof of Purchase or bill of sale indicating if the tax has been paid
  • Title, if titled
  • Registration
  • Or Affidavit of untitled/unregistered vessel

To make application for Transfer of ownership of a boat (sold in state)

  • Application needs to be filled out
  • Proof of Purchase or bill of sale indicating if the tax has been paid
  • Title, if titled
  • Registration
  • Or Affidavit of untitled/unregistered vessel

Off Highway Vehicles (Including Snowmobile, ATV, ORV & ORM) Registrations, Titles &Liens

Off Highway Vehicles (OHV) include all Snowmobiles, ATV, ORV & ORM registrations are due every year and can be renewed from September 1st thru December 31st.  The renewal fee is $17.75.  There is a $5.00 penalty after December 31st.  All new, renewed or transfers have to be done at the Allamakee County Recorders Office through the Recreational Vehicle & Vessel Registration system of Iowa or RVVR's.

To make application for a New (Newly Manufactured) Off Highway Vehicle

  • Application needs to be filled out
  • Proof of Purchase or bill of sale indicating if the tax has been paid
  • Manufacturer's statement of origin (MSO)

To make application for a New OHV to Iowa (sold to an Iowa customer by a seller in another state)

  • Application needs to be filled out
  • Proof of Purchase or bill of sale indicating if the tax has been paid
  • Title, if titled
  • Registration (or screen print)
  • Or Affidavit of untitled/unregistered OHV

To make application for Transfer of ownership of an OHV (sold in state)

  • Application needs to be filled out
  • Proof of Purchase or bill of sale indicating if the tax has been paid
  • Title, if titled
  • Registration (or screen print)
  • Or Affidavit of untitled/unregistered vessel

ALL snowmobiles, resident or non-resident, operating on public land, public ice or designated snowmobile trails are required to display a valid DNR User Permit. The User permit decal must be affixed to the machine to be legal. All User permits can be purchased starting September 1 each year and are valid for the remainder of the year plus the entire following calendar year. DNR User Permits may be obtained at any license vendor or County Recorder Office that sells hunting and fishing privileges. The cost is $17.75.

A nonresident must register their vehicle in their state to operate a snowmobile in Iowa. If their state does not require registration they only need to display a current user permit.

A snowmobile that was manufactured before 1984 can purchase a one-time lifetime Antique Snowmobile registration for a fee of $26.75. Registering their snowmobile as an antique snowmobile exempts the owner from an annual registration fee. But a current DNR User Permit is required if it is operated on public land, public ice and/or designated snowmobile trails.

As of July 1, 2014, there is no longer a provision in Iowa law that provides for a Farm Registration for Off Highway Vehicles. The vehicles that had been registered as a Farm Registration before July 1 will still be in effect. If a vehicle is considered to be exempt from registration & sales tax due to farm use, the customer has two choices, they can choose to register with the DNR paying the regular amount of $17.75 and receive current decals, which expire on December 31 of each year or to not register the vehicle at all. We would encourage all farm use machines to at least register & title their machine the first time to establish ownership.

Hunting/Fishing License

Fish and Game licenses are sold wherever there is an ELSI machine (Electronic License System for Iowa). Not only at the Courthouse.  New hunting and fishing license are available on December 15 for the following calendar year.

Vital Records

In April of 2014 Iowa County Recorders Association partnered with the Iowa Department of Health on a statewide Electronic System.  Recorders now have access to birth, marriage & death records across the state not just those happening in their counties.  As of now we have access for birth records from 1987 forward & marriage & death 1954 forward.  A forward to state process can be done on records prior to the years on the Iowa Department of Public Health’s statewide electronic system if you choose not to go through the county the record is in.  The same application is sent through our statewide system to IDPH and they mail you a certified copy.  Forward to state process could take up to two weeks to receive.  Records prior to those years are still available in the Recorders Office.


To obtain a certified copies of a Birth, Death or Marriage Certificate:


  • You need to fill out an application
  • Application is under Recorder Forms: Application/State Vital Record

                     All applications need to have a notarized signature 

  • For Birth: The full birth name & date of birth  

                  Parents names, including mother's maiden name. 

  • For Death: The deceased as named on the record & date of death  

                   Parents names, including mother's maiden name.   

  • For Marriage:  Party A & Party B named on the record & date of marriage   

                   Parents names, including mother's maiden name


  • Only entitled persons can apply for a certified copy   
  • Entitled persons include the person named on the record who is of legal age, spouse, children, legal parents, grandparents or legal representative or guardian   
  • Requests from legal representatives or guardians must be on their business letterhead  
  • There is a $15.00 fee for each certified copy
  • We do accept check, cash, MasterCard/visa debt/credit cards.
  • Requests by mail must include payment, a notarized application form and a copy of your photo i.d. 

            Mail to: Allamakee County Recorder, 110 Allamakee St, Waukon IA 52172

 To obtain a Marriage Application

Marriage license applications may be completed in person at the Office of the County Recorder/Registrar, or a completed notarized application may be mail to the office.  Iowa law required an uninterested third party as a witness to the application, sign in front of a notary or be present in our office to complete the process.  Or if all three parties are unable to appear together, the application can be completed elsewhere, signatures notarized and then returned to:  Allamakee County Recorder, 110 Allamakee St, Waukon IA 52172.

Please state if you want the completed packet mailed back to you (please include address) or will the Marriage packet be picked up.

  • You need to fill out an application
  • Application is under Recorder Forms: Marriage Application.
  • $35.00 processing fee  
  • You will need to bring a photo identification (e.g., driver’s license)
  • Witness 18 years of age  
  • 4 day waiting period (not counting day of application)
  • A certified copy of the marriage is included in the $35.00 fee after you marriage 
  • If under 18 years of age need parental consent to marry  
  • Must be at least 16 years of age
  • We do accept check, cash, MasterCard/visa debt/credit cards

The 4 day waiting period maybe waived

  • You need to fill out the waiver form
  • Form is under Recorder Forms: Marriage-Three-Day Waiver Form
  • Completed form needs to be brought in to Recorders Office
  • Form needs to be signed by District Court Judge  
  • Additional $5.00 fee
  • When the marriage license valid date is computed, the day of application is not counted  


Please read the Marriage Instructions under Recorder Forms Marriage License Instructions if you have any questions or call the office at 563-568-2364.  Return the completed paperwork to the Allamakee County Recorder’s Office.


Forms and Applications


Forms and Policies

Assessor's Office

Welcome to the  Allamakee County Assessor's Office. It is our goal to provide information to the public about the duties of the assessor and various services offered by this office. We hope that you will find our website to be beneficial and informative.



Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I look up information about a case? 

The Iowa Judiciary provides case information to the public at www.iowacourts.state.ia.us.

Where do I pay a fine? 

You may pay your fine at the Allamakee County Clerk of Court's Office located on the second floor of the Allamakee County Courthouse, 110 Allamakee Street, Waukon.

Where do I look up land records? 

You may look up land records in the Allamakee County Recorder’s Office on the second floor of the Allamakee County Courthouse, 110 Allamakee Street, Waukon, or online at https://beaconbeta.schneidercorp.com/?site=AllamakeeCountyIA

Who do I call for information on jury duty?

Call the Allamakee County Clerk of Court's Office at 563-568-6351.

How do I report a crime? 

You should call your local law enforcement agency OR the Allamakee County Sherriff’s Office at 563-568-4521.

How do I get help for a person who may be dangerous or unsafe due to a mental illness or substance abuse? 

You will need to contact the Clerk of Court’s Office at the Allamakee County Courthouse, 110 Allamakee Street, Waukon. Be prepared to fill out an Application and bring a second person who will provide an affidavit regarding the situation. The State can only help individuals with mental health or substance abuse issues in certain circumstances.

Where do I go to get a Driver License or ID? 

Allamakee Treasurer’s Office, second floor Allamakee County Courthouse, 110 Allamakee Street, Waukon, 563-568-3793.

Bad Checks

If you have received checks that come back insufficient funds or closed accounts, please refer to the following document:

Bad Check Procedures

Notice of Refusal

Crime Report

Domestic Violence Crimes in Allamakee County

There is no excuse for domestic violence

The Allamakee County Attorney’s Office has prepared this information to help answer some questions about domestic violence cases. You do not deserve to be abused. There is help available. Our office and many others stand ready to do all we can to make you safer and hold your abuser accountable for the criminal conduct.  Please refer to the pdf document for more information.

Victim Resources

IowaVINE is a service through which victims of crime can use the telephone or Internet to search for information regarding an offender’s custody status and register to receive telephone and/or e-mail notification when the offender’s custody status changes.  The IowaVINE toll-free number is 1-888-742-8463.  To register for IowaVINE notifications click here.

IPONDA Iowa Protective Order Notification for Domestic Abuse Program. This is a service provided by the Iowa Attorney General’s Office Crime Victim Assistance Division. It provides victims with access to information and notifications for protective order statuses. It is an automated service the lets you, the protected party or petitioner, track the status of a protective order over the phone or Internet. You can also register to be notified by phone or e-mail about changes in the status of a protective order.

Before you call IPONDA, be ready with your case number and the defendant or respondent’s name as it appears on the order.

Call 1-888-742-8463 or visit www.registervpo.com to access protective order information.

If you feel you are in danger, call 911 immediately.

Crisis Center and Women’s Shelter Provides services to survivors of domestic abuse and sexual violence, including a 24 Hour Crisis Line, Shelter Services, Individual Counseling and Support Groups, Community Education and Training, and Outreach Services.
For more information call the Crisis Center at:
641-683-3122 or
Women’s Resource Center: 641-683-1750.

Crime Victim Compensation Program If  you or someone you care about has suffered personal physical or emotional injury from a crime, contact the Crime Victim Compensation Program. This program may help you with certain out-of-pocket expenses resulting from the crime. It can also help you find other resources to meet your crime-related needs.
Phone: 515-281-5044 or Toll-Free 1-800-373-5044 or visit: https://www.iowaattorneygeneral.gov/for-crime-victims/crime-victim-compensation-program/

Safe at Home Program  Safe at Home (SAH) is an address confidentiality program.  See attached pdf for more information.


Useful Links

The following links provide useful information and quick access to local and state-wide law enforcement and social programs:

Iowa Judicial Branch:  http://www.iowacourts.gov/

Iowa Courts Online:  https://www.iowacourts.state.ia.us/

Iowa Crime Victim Assistance:  https://www.iowaattorneygeneral.gov/for-crime-victims

Iowa Department of Human Services:  http://dhs.iowa.gov/

Iowa Department of Corrections:  http://www.doc.state.ia.us/

Iowa State Bar Association:  http://www.iowabar.org/

Iowa Department of Justice:  http://www.iowaattorneygeneral.gov/

Iowa Legal Aid Society:  http://www.iowalegalaid.org/

Allamakee County Sheriff's Office:  /sheriff

Homeland Security Investigations Victim Notification Program: http://www.ice.gov/victim-notification/

Fee Schedule

Fee Schedule - Effective July 1, 2011

Deeds, Changes of Title, Name Changes, Affidavits of Surviving Spouse, & Contracts (including assignments and amendments):
$5.00 per page + $1.00 record management fee per transaction + $1.00 e- commerce fee per transaction + auditor's transfer fee (see below) [Chapter 331.604, Code of Iowa]



Multi-document Real Estate Related Filing: (i.e. instruments that release or assign multiple mortgages, assign multiple leases, etc.) 

$5.00 per page + $1.00 record management fee + $1.00 e-commerce fee (includes one transaction) + $7.00 per each additional transaction [Chapter 331.604, Code of Iowa]



Uniform Commercial Code Fees:

 $5.00 per page + $1.00 record management fee + $1.00 e-commerce fee per transaction.  [Chapter 331.604, Code of Iowa]



All Other Documents:

$5.00 per page + $1.00 record management fee per transaction + $1.00 e-commerce fee per transaction[Chapter 331.604, Code of Iowa]


Auditor's Transfer Fees:

 $5.00 per parcel.  
A parcel of real estate includes: For real estate outside a city's limits, all contiguous land lying within a number section; for real estate located within a city, all contiguous land lying within a platted block or subdivision. Within a number section, platted block or subdivision, land separated only be a public street, alley, or highway remains contiguous.  Auditor's fees shall not exceed $50.00 for one instrument.  [Chapter 331.507(2), Code of Iowa]



Federal Tax Lien Search:

 $6.00 per name search; $5.00 per page for copy of document.  [Chapter 331.609(3)d]



Certification Fee: (all real estate documents - does not include vital records)
$5.00 for certification + copy fee costs

County Attorney's Office

110 Allamakee St Waukon, IA 52172

Anthony Gericke, Allamakee County Attorney
Jill Kistler, Assistant Allamakee County Attorney                                                                                                                                              
Mary Huinker, Paralegal
Aleesa Baakko, Victim/Witness Coordinator



Duties of the Allamakee County Attorney

Civil Advice:
 The County Attorney is the legal advisor for the Allamakee County Board of Supervisors, county department heads and other county agencies.  As the legal advisor for the county, the County Attorney serves in a role that is similar to that of an in-house corporate counsel.  The County Attorney provides legal advice to the County Board and county departments to assist the county in providing many public services.  Other areas of civil advice include defending challenges to property tax values, enforcing county environment and health ordinances, and forfeiting property used in connection with criminal activity.

Adult Prosecution:
The County Attorney is the chief prosecutor for crimes which occur within Allamakee County.  Prosecution involves bringing charges against a party, trying the case in court, and making sentencing recommendations.  The County Attorney prosecutes both felony and misdemeanor offenses.

Juvenile Prosecution:
The County Attorney is the prosecutor in all cases involving juvenile offenders.  These range from alcohol violations to the most serious felony criminal behavior.  While the goal of juvenile court is rehabilitation of offenders, due to public safety concerns, the County Attorney may ask the Court to order a juvenile to stand trial as an adult.

Victim/Witness Assistance:
The County Attorney provides assistance and support to the victims and witnesses of crime who play a vital role in the criminal justice system.  They advise victims of crime of their legal rights.  The County Attorney's Office works closely with the various victim service groups within the county.  The County Attorney assists in obtaining restitution for losses suffered by crime victims.

Family Services:
The County Attorney initiates CINA (Child In Need of Assistance) petitions to protect abused or neglected children in the county.   The County Attorney initiates legal proceedings to protect the health and safety of vulnerable adults within the county when they are in need of assistance.  The County Attorney also represents persons who have filed involuntary commitment actions to provide necessary treatment for individuals alleged to be suffering from serious mental impairment or a subtance related disorder.

The County Attorney DOES:

  • Prosecute all violations of state criminal laws and county ordinances.
  • Provide legal advice to the Board of Supervisors and County and Township Officers concerning County matters.
  • Represent and defend the state, county and its officers in officially related cases.
  • Recover all monies (debts, fines, penalties, etc.) owing to the state or county.
  • Present all mental impairment and substance related commitment proceedings and all juvenile delinquency and child in need of assistance cases.

In his or her OFFICIAL capacity, the County Attorney is NOT a lawyer for a private group or person. The County Attorney in his or her OFFICIAL capacity DOES NOT:

  • Give legal advice to or represent private groups or persons as County Attorney.
  • File lawsuits for private persons or defend them against lawsuits, including actions for dissolution of marriage.
  • Prepare wills, deeds or other legal documents for private individuals.

Contact Information:

Mailing Address: Allamakee County Courthouse, 110 Allamakee Street, Waukon, IA  52172

County Attorney's Office Phone No.: (563) 568-3813

County Attorney's Office Fax No.: (563) 568-6403


Email Addresses:

     County Attorney: agericke@co.allamakee.ia.us

     Assistant County Attorney: jkistler@co.allamakee.ia.us

     Paralegal: mhuinker@co.allamakee.ia.us

     Victim Witness Coordinator:  abaakko@co.allamakee.ia.us


Welcome to Allamakee County Conservation Foundation

Founded in 2010

Foundation Members

Campaign Leadership: Jane M. Regan &  John Verdon

Honorary Campaign Chairs: mark Farley, Dan Gable, Gary and Karen Galema, Msgr. Ed Lechtenberg

Board Members: Dennis Blocker, Jeanie Carroll, David Duncklee, James Janett, Jane Regan, Clem Schulte, Bill Shafer, Larry Shellhammer


It is the Conservation Foundation to assist, develop, maintain, promote, educate and preserve the conservation life in the community of Allamakee county. We thrive on the past and future opportunities, that the foundation brings to Allamakee County.
The Allamakee Foundation is building on yesterday, today, and tomorrows future. 

Foundation Vision

  • Make available, to the inhabitants of the county, public museums, parks, preserves, parkways, playgrounds, recreational centers, environmental educational opportunities, county forest, wildlife and other conservation areas
  • To promote and preserve the health and general welfare of the people
  • To encourage the orderly development and conservation of natural resources
  • To cultivate good citizenship by providing adequate programs of public recreation
  • To encourage charitable giving, to give back to the county Identify the demand and priorities in
  • Allamakee county and provide financial support to address them.
  • Educate the community on protecting, preserving and enhancing the great County of Allamakee

What To Look Forward To In The Future

The foundation provides many opportunities to educate, protect, and preserve allamakee county.
Listed bellow are a few things we provide for our community.

Education Programs

The foundation strives to educate the community with a wide range of program for all ages. Teaching on the wild life and activities that surround Allamakee County.  Just a few, on the long list of programs and activities include...

  • Fishing
  • Pheasant Hunting
  • Bird Box Making
  • Programs On Animals In Allamakee County

Contact Information

 Office Hours 8:00 am - 4:30 pm                        Office Phone: 563-568-0401                     E-Mail: accb.offmanager@gmail.com

Sorry, this page no longer exists in our system. Please click here.

What can be Recycled

-Curbside pickup: Prepare recyclables and put them out for pickup as directed by your city (city contact information is at bottom of next page).

-Rural Residents: Take recyclables to the most convenient drop-off site and place them in the appropriate bin.

What Can Be Recycled?


• Food and beverage glass only (soda, beer, wine and liquor bottles; food containers)
Rinse clean and discard metal or plastic caps.
Labels can remain.

NO broken glass, window glass, mirrors, light bulbs, dishes, ceramic dishes or beer/wine caps, flower pots, crystal, heat-resistant ovenware,drinking glasses.

Rinse clean and flatten if possible.
Labels can remain.

NO aerosol cans.
• Empty bottles and jugs with necks that have #1 or #2 codes—for example, milk jugs and pop bottles
Remove and discard caps.
Drain, rinse, and flatten.String bottles or jugs together when possible.

NO plastic bags or wrap, film containers, plastic pails, dishes, bubble wrap, butter containers, storage baskets, flower pots.
• Office paper, computer paper: Envelopes can have labels.
Bag, box, or bundle and tie with string.

NO window envelopes or self-carbon paper.

• Corrugated cardboard, egg cartons:
Flatten and tie with string.

• Newspapers, phone books: Remove covers from phone
books. Bag, box, or bundle and tie with string.

NO glossy inserts.

• Books: Paperback—bag or box; no need to remove covers.
Hardcover—discard covers and bag or box pages. Also, see
Alternative Recycling Sources

• Magazines, catalogs: Bag, box, or bundle and tie with string.

• Brown paper bags: Bag, box, or bundle and tie with string.

Alternative Recycling Sources

• Clean, used clothing, jewelry,some books:

The Depot, 105 Railroad Ave.
Decorah, Iowa 52101
Saint Vincent DePaul, East Main St.
Waukon, Iowa
Electronics and Computer Recycling:

Spectrum: Washington St. Decorah, Iowa
Allamakee County Recycling,
869 Hwy 9, Waukon, Iowa

Car Batteries & Motor Oil:

Allamakee County Recycling,
869 Hwy 9, Waukon, Iowa

General Trash Info

• Curbside pickup: Use bags or Containers and put them out for pickup as directed by your city.

• Rural Residents: Fill bags and take to the most convenient drop-off site (see next page).

• Glossy newspaper inserts
• Glossy paper
• Kleenex, paper towels, napkins
• Self-carbon paper (NCR)
• Posters/tag board
• Window envelopes
• Padded shipping bags
• Junk mail
• Wax paper/coated paper
• Gift wrap/bags
• Boxboard (cereal/drink boxes)
• Containers not marked #1 or #2
• Plastic containers (film, pill, ice cream,paint, Cool Whip, butter/ margarine)
• Plastic wrap/bags/gift bags/bubble wrap
• Dishes/eating utensils
• Credit/calling cards
• Storage baskets
• Toys
• Flower pots
• 12-pack beverage containers
• Coolers
• Insulation
• Packing peanuts
• Fast-food containers
• Cups
• Broken glass
• Window glass
• Mirrors
• Light bulbs (nonfluorescent)
• Cooking/ovenware
• Beverage glasses
• Ceramic items
• Clay flower pots
• Dishes

Rural Drop-off Sites are for Rural Residents Only!

Please Call the Allamakee County Recycling Dept. for information on the nearest rural site for you ( 563-568-4806)
Items house holds can drop off at main site for a fee(Towns People Need to Take Advantage of the Cleanup Days)

Large household items
• Furniture
• Carpet & padding
• Appliances
• Mattresses
• Mirrors
• Floor tile/linoleum
Electronic items
Bathroom fixtures
Small household appliances
Lead acid car batteries
Doors, Windows, & Frames
Small Amounts of Demolition/remodeling debris including sheetrock,lumber, insulation, plaster,paneling

Metal Items Are Free

Metal items
• Lawn mowers
• Window frames
• Bicycles
• Furnaces
• Pots & pans
• Tools
• Bed springs
• Poles & pipes
• Downspouts
• Fencing & gates

Business may drop electronic items, and commercial and standard appliances.
Fees are based on disposal costs charged to Allamakee County and subject to change as necessary.

Ashes/cinders(Contact your city.)
Cement sidewalks(Contact your city.)
Yard waste (Contact your city.)
Gas tanks, fuel oil barrels(Contact a salvage yard.)
Cement blocks
Gas cylinders
Yard Waste

Each city has its own yard waste policies and programs.

Contact your city hall for information (numbers provided below).

Harpers Ferry


New Albin




Allamakee County Waste & Recycling

Auditor's Office

Auditor's Office

Denise Beyer—Allamakee County Auditor                                               Allamakee County Auditor's Office
Kelly Ryan-Urell---Real Estate Deputy                                                             110 Allamakee St , Waukon, IA 52172
Janel Eglseder---Payroll Deputy                                                                      Phone: (563) 568-3522                                         
Karmen Piggott---Accounting Clerk                                                                 Fax: (563) 568-4978
                                                                                                                  Email: dbeyer@co.allamakee.ia.us 

Reminder: APPOINTMENTS ARE REQUIRED for PASSPORT SERVICES. Call 563-568-3522 to make an appointment.

Duties of the Auditor's Office

ELECTIONS: For ALL ELECTION INFORMATION click this link https://allamakeecountyelections.iowa.gov/ 


NOVEMBER 2, 2021 CITY-SCHOOL UNOFFICIAL RESULTS for Allamakee. Go here (https://electionresults.iowa.gov/IA/Allamakee/111398/) for Statewide results. You can Choose which races to see (City, School, etc) and use the tiny Filter icon on right to filter by a letter of alphabet.




Courthouse staff wish to THANK EVERYONE for their patience and your willingness to follow healthy practices throughout the COVID-19 pandemic!!

County Auditor’s Office:  563-568-3522    dbeyer@co.allamakee.ia.us

  • Passport services by Appointment Only from 9am-3pm Monday through Friday. Call to make an appointment at 563-568-3522
    • APPLY EARLY!! EFFECTIVE JULY 2021 - - Passport Services Agency has notified us to allow 18 weeks when applying for a passport - new or renewal. Expedited service is available for an extra fee and can still take 12 weeks.  Please call 563-568-3522 with questions.



PASSPORT PAYMENT UPDATES:  AT THE REQUIREMENT OF THE NATIONAL PASSPORT AGENCY, CASH CAN NO LONGER BE ACCEPTED IN OUR OFFICE AS PAYMENT FOR APPLICATION FEES THAT MUST BE SENT IN TO THE PASSPORT AGENCY! Applicants must pay application fees by check or money order. **The $35 Acceptance fee paid to Auditor's office CAN still be cash as that money stays in the County office. Credit cards are not accepted at our acceptance facility.  Please call us at 563-568-3522 with any questions.

APRIL 2, 2018 - The Acceptance Fee (Execution Fee) to apply for a passport increased to $35. 

Land Divisions Application

Thank You

Thank you for contacting us. If requested, we will reply shortly. For immediate assistance by phone, please view the phone directory.


Dial 563-568-4521

page under construction

877 Highway 9

Waukon, Iowa 52172

The Allamakee County Jail is a 42 bed facility (53 total housing capacity) opened in 2017.

Room and Board Obligation

Jail Work Release Application and Rules

return to sheriff home page



Regulations Regarding All-Terrain Vehicles or Off-Road Utility Vehicles on Secondary Roads

Click Here for Ordinance

(amended 6/12/2017)

Description of Roadway


Iowa DNR Off-Highway Vehicle Reference Guide

Iowa DNR Off -Highway Vehicle Registration Information

Iowa DNR Online ATV Safety Course


Dial 563-568-4793


page under construction

return to sheriff home page


For information on sheriff sales Dial 563-568-4793

Sheriff sales are conducted on the 2nd floor of the Allamakee County Courthouse at 110 Allamakee Street in Waukon, Iowa. Sales start at 10:00 am on the scheduled date of the sale.

  • Interested bidders must provide financial documentation in the form of a line of credit from their financial institution of their ability to cover the amount of their bid prior to the start of the sale! 
  • A successful bidder must pay the full amount of the purchase price before 4:00 p.m. on the day of the sale. Payment must be in the form of cash or cashier's check payable to the Allamakee County Sheriff.
  • Failure to pay the amount in full on the day of the sale will result in a postponement of the sale (see Iowa Code Section 626.81 for details).

Pending Sheriff Sales


return to sheriff page

Contact Us

Employment Opportunities


Allamakee County Secondary Road Department is taking applications for an Equipment Operators/MM II who will work mainly out of the Waukon Shop operating motor graders, endloaders, dump trucks and doing road maintenance. Applicants shall possess a valid Class A or B CDL with at least 2 years experience operating and maintaining road construction equipment.  Required to live within Allamakee County within 90 days of hire for emergency call out situations.  Successful applicants subject to pre-employment and random drug/alcohol/physical testing.  Wage $21.69-$24.10 per hour plus benefits DOQ.  

Job application forms are due by 11/10/22 and can be filled out at the Allamakee County Engineer’s Office, 870 4th St. NW, Waukon, IA 52172 or job application and full job description can also be downloaded at

Job Description
Application Engineer's Office


The Allamakee County Recorder’s Office is hiring a full-time clerk.  The position includes providing friendly, quality customer service in a timely and accurate manner across the front counter, on the phone, by email or written correspondence.  Duties include assisting customers with registering, titling, and renewals of recreational vehicles, as well as providing fish/game licenses.  Will also process vital record requests including birth, death and marriage licenses.  Maintain and preserve DNR records and vital records.  Assist in daily balancing and deposit preparation.  Supervise and assist genealogy researchers.  The ability to read and understand legal descriptions would be a benfit.  Applications can be picked up at the Allamakee County Recorder’s Office or found on-line at: http://www.allamakee.us/.   Completed applications can be dropped off or mailed to the Allamakee County Recorder’s Office, 110 Allamakee St, Waukon IA 52172, or emailed to kmathis@co.allamakee.ia.us by November 30, 2022.

Job Description




Skills: Ideal candidate is self-starter with strong work ethic and computer skills – proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel; ability to efficiently type and 10-key and demonstrate strong written and verbal communication; customer service experience; attention to details and desire for accuracy are a must; high level of organizational skills; must be able to multi-task.

Responsibilities include but are not limited to: Processing land division applications and splits/transfers of real estate; preparing valuation and cash balancing reports for state; processing levies, tax exemptions and credits and tax statement preparation; budget review; assisting with election administration and passport application acceptance.

Preferred knowledge/experience: Experience with real estate and reading legal descriptions; basic accounting knowledge; customer service. Minimum 2-year degree preferred but not required.

Wage/salary will be based on skills and qualifications. Some travel required for training and education opportunities.

Applicants should submit a cover letter and job application (resumé optional) to Allamakee County Auditor – Human Resources, 110 Allamakee St, Waukon, IA 52172 as soon as possible. Position will remain open until filled.  Applications can be picked up at the Allamakee County Auditor’s office or can be printed at https://allamakeecounty.iowa.gov/employment.  Equal Opportunity Employer

Employee FMLA Rights


MONDAY, MARCH 18, 2019


Call to order

Pledge of Allegiance


9:30 am     Approve Today’s Agenda and Minutes of March 11, 2019


                  Public Comment


9:40 am     Tom Regan/Heather Homewood-Consideration of Contingency plat for Memorial Day Program


10:00 am     Consideration/Discussion of Township Officials on County Insurance


10:15 am     Consideration of bids for Dorchester Drive(A16) culvert extensions

Consideration of Embargo Resolution

Consideration of setting a letting date for road rock resurfacing



Department Head updates






Personell Policy and Procedure

County Handbook

Local Union No. 238 Agreement

     Amendment 7/1/2018


Emergency Restraint Chair Instructional Video

JAIL FORMS                                                                                                                    


Booking Packet Forms

Authorization for Return of Bond and Bond Information

Financial Affidavit and Application for Appointment of Counsel

Application for Work Release and Rules

Room & Board Reimbursement Payment Plan

Restraint Chair Policy & Procedure

Restraint Chair Log


Missing Person Report NCIC

Domestic Violence Immediate Safety Plan

Death Investigation Report

Dog Impoundment Form

City of Harpers Ferry - Golf Cart Ordinance

Law Enforcement Request for Autopsy Report

Request For Victim Notification Upon Defendant Jail Release

Protective Orders - Information for Domestic Abuse Registry and Service of Protective Orders

OWI Packet


Payroll Form

Transportation Authorization Form


Writ of Removal and Possession Execution 510


Employee Complaint Greivance Form 107

Monthly Student Evaluation Form

Ride Along and Waiver Form


Employee Hazmat - Biohazard Report

Employee Report of Incident

Witness Report of Incident

Supervisors Accident Investigation Report

Loss Report Form - Insurance

Persons Sentenced to Jail Time

Individuals required to serve Court Ordered jail sentences should make contact with the Allamakee County Jail at 563-568-4521 to schedule a stay.

Your information (name, current address, telephone number and email if available) will be needed.

Persons who have tested positive for COVID-19 and are currently on isolation or persons having symptoms of COVID-19 will not be accepted until cleared medically to be jailed.


A person who is sentenced by a Court to jail time, may serve their sentence in the Allamakee County subject to the rules of the Allamakee County Jail. The sentenced individual shall make contact with the Allamakee County Jail to schedule an intake date prior to beginning their sentence. Any individual that is sentenced to jail time, are subject to room and board fees. Please read the Rooom & Board Obligation form.

Room and Board Fees

$50.00 per day Sentenced Allamakee
$50.00 per day Sentenced with Work Release Priveleges
$50.00 per day Sentenced from Other County

$50.00 per day Sentenced from Other County with Work Release Priveleges


Plus other expenses incurred by the inmate during incarceration (ie. medical, dental, etc.)


Any person granted work release privileges at the time of sentencing may make an application for work release prior to being released for work from the Allamakee County Jail. Work release applicants shall complete an Application for Work Release and Rules form and return this form to the Allamakee County Jail.


Allamakee Substance Abuse Prevention

"...enhancing and improving the lives of the citizens of Allamakee County".

Home          Services          Grant Work          ASAP Coalition          Resources

In 1984, as a result of a grass roots effort to reduce the rate and effect that substance abuse had on residents of Allamakee County, a county-funded substance abuse prevention agency was created.  That agency, Allamakee Substance Abuse Prevention (ASAP has been an agency of local government since April 30, 1984 and has provided a variety of substance abuse prevention services throughout the county.

Mission Statement

It is the mission of Allamakee Substance Abuse Prevention to reduce the rate and effects of substance use and abuse in Allamakee County.  We believe that through an asset building approach to education, information, and early intervention, we can prevent substance abuse, therefore enhancing and improving the lives of the residents of Allamakee County.


Home          Services          Grant Work          ASAP Coalition          Resources

ASAP offers a variety of topics for community groups.  Many focusing on alcohol, tobacco, e-cigaretts and other drugs, many which are interrelated.  We can provide a speaker at your event or we can put on an event for your group.  Presentations are provided free of charge.

Evidenced-Based Programs

  •     Project Northland/Slick Tracy
  •     Project Northland/Power Lines
  •     Change Direction
  •     Walking the Talk

Youth Programs

  •     Leadership Conferences
  •     Adventure-Based Activities
  •     Service Learning Activities
  •     Internships

Allamakee Substance Abuse Prevention (ASAP) works with youth, schools, local organizations, communities, law enforcement and others to provide programs, services, and trainings that focus on helping people develop the knowledge, attitudes and skills they need to make good choices or change harmful behaviors.

ASAP has integrated many programs, presentations and provided other services to all three public school districts in Allamakee County, and Waukon's St. Patrick's School.


Above is a panel presentation to 8th Grade Students given by Waukon Police Department, Allamakee County Sheriff, School personnel, District Court Judge, Veterans Memorial Hospital Emergency Room Technician, Mayo Clinic Physician.

Above is a panel presentation to 8th grade students, given by Waukon Police Department, Allamakee County Sheriff, School personnel, District Court Judge, Veterans Memorial Hospital Emergency Room Technician, Mayo Clinic Physician.

Above is graduation day for 7th Grade Project Northland Classes.  These classes & Slick Tracy/Project N are given in all Allamakee Community Schools.

Above ASAP Director, Jean Bossom, is presenting to high school classroom utilizing "DW" goggles, which simulate the hazards of alcohol abuse.


Allamakee County community members come together to help educate youth on the hazards and impact alcohol/drug and distracted driving have on everyone.

Mock car accident in Waukon.

Participants:  Allamakee Community School District, ASAP youth, parents, Waukon Police Department, Allamakee County Sheriff's Department, District 10 Iowa State Patrol, City of Waukon's Street Department, Veterans Memorial Hospital Ambulance, Waukon Fire Department, Martin Funeral Home, Medivac, and many other community members.

Mock car accident in Postville.

Participants:  Postville Community School district, ASAP youth, Postville Fire Department, Castalia Fire Department, Postville Police Department, Allamakee Sheriff's Department, District 10 State Patrol, City of Postville, Area Ambulance Service, and many other community members.

TIPS Training

ASAP offers Responsible Beverage Server Training, free of charge, to any and all alcohol establishments in Allamakee County.  These trainings help attendees not only identify underage drinking but how to look for over intoxication in their patrons, and how to address these work-related situations.

Local Government

Allamakee County Board of Supervisors

Holding the newly adopted Allamakee County Social Host and Cost Recovery Ordinance, September 2017.

Law Enforcement

One of three alco sensors furnished law enforcement by the ASAP SPF SIG project.  ASAP IPFS also helped furnish video cameras for implementation of strategies to several law enforcement departments.

Law enforcement is a huge collaborator in all aspects of ASAP's work.  All law enforcement departments implemented regular bar checks with the SPF SIG project, and have been working with youth on regular alcohol compliance checks.  The Allamakee County Sheriff's Department took part in safety checkpoints and saturation patrols as well for the SPF SIG project.

Various law enforcement officers attend Responsible Beverage Server Trainings (TIPs) to give attendees the added benefit of their advice and experience.  Law enforcement have been huge contributors to the various mock accidents, panel presentations and Project Northland graduation events put on by ASAP.

Grant Work

Home          Services          Grant Work          ASAP Coalition          Resources

Grant Work

Allamakee SPF-SIG

The Strategic Prevention Framework State Incentive Grant (SPF SIG) was a five year grant funded by the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) through the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) and Center for Substance Abuse Prevention (CSAP).  SPF SIG was in 23 Iowa counties, including Allamakee, to meet the following goals:

  • Reduce underage alcohol use (under age 21)
  • Reduce adult binge drinking (18 and over)

Strategies implemented:     Alcohol Compliance Checks

                                    Apply Appropriate Penalties to Minors in Possession

                                    Counter Marketing/Counter Advertising Campaign (ages 18 to 22)

                                    Counter Marketing/Counter Advertising Campaign (ages 13 to 16)

                                     Enforce Impaired Driving Laws

Allamakee IPFS

The Iowa Partnership for Success Grant (IPFS was a five-year grant funded by the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) through the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) and Center for Substance Abuse Prevention (CSAP).  IPFS was in 12 Iowa counties, including Allamakee, to meet the following goals:

  • Reduce underage drinking and youth binge drinking among individuals ages 12-20.

Strategies implemented :  Alcohol Compliance Checks

                                 Responsible Beverage Server Training

                                 Social Host and Cost Recovery Ordinance

                                 IDPH Media Campaign

                                 Project Northland/Powerlines

ASAP Coalition

Home          Services          Grant Work          ASAP Coalition          Resources

Allamakee Substance Abuse Prevention Coalition has been in existance for over 30 years.  This countywide coalition meets monthly to help tackle the issues of reducing substance abuse and related problems in Allamakee County.  This coalition has a strong representation of the communities of Allamakee County.  While coalition membership and participation changes over time, current membership reflects membership from ASAP staff, law enforcement, middle school youth, high school youth, school district staff, senior citizens, parents, grandparents, business owners, county officials and clergy.

If you would like to be a part of the Allamakee Substance Abuse Prevention Coalition, please contact Jean Bossom, Director at 563-568-2204.


Home          Services          Grant Work          ASAP Coalition          Resources

AgencyPhone Number
Alternative Treatment Associates563-864-7122
Drug/Alcohol Treatment800-252-6465
Great Rivers 211 (Onalaska)800-362-8255
Iowa Concern Hotline800-447-1985
Northeast Iowa Behavioral Health Center800-400-8923
SASC-Substance Abuse Services Center (Dubuque)563-582-3784
Suicide Prevention Hotline800-273-8255
Veteran's Crisis Hotline800-273-8255
Your Life Iowa
Iowa 5th District Area 24 AA Meeting Schedule

Allamakee County Courthouse

110 Allamakee St, Waukon, IA 52172

Hours: 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Handicapped parking located on south side of courthouse, enter south door.

  Phone Number Directory

Allamakee County Alert Iowa Emergency Alert Message System

Allamakee County Alert Iowa Emergency Alert Message System

Alert Iowa is a statewide emergency alert message system Allamakee County is using to send emergency messages to its local residents.

The system allows county officials and the National Weather Service to communicate emergency information directly to county citizens via voice call, text message, and/or email.  This includes weather and non-weather-related notifications.

Weather Emergency Alert Options include Severe Thunderstorm, Tornado, Flood and Flash Flood, Winter Storm, Winter Weather, Excessive Heat, Extreme Cold and Wind Chill, and Freeze and Frost Watch and Warning alerts.

Non-Weather-Related Emergency Alert Options are associated to each city individually within the county and one for the rural portion also.  Signing up allows you to receive alert notices for just the specific locations you select.

City alert examples include emergency boil alerts, hazardous material spills, shelter-in-place, evacuation, missing person.  Rural alerts would also include emergency road closures such as may be caused by flash flooding.

To sign-up:  www.smart911.com/smart911/ref/reg.action?pa=AllamakeeCounty

To learn more about Alert Iowa please click on the link below:


ATR Team

Allamakee Technical Rescue

Ropes and Knots Training

A Mutual Aid cooperation between fire departments in Allamakee County Iowa

for the purpose of Technical Rope Rescue.

(Harpers Ferry, Lansing, New Albin, Postville, Waterville, Waukon)

Introduction     Video

Safety (Stopper) Knotts

      Single Overhand     Video

      Double Overhand     Video   

Utility Knots

     Bowline     Video

     Bowline around an Object     Video

     Bowline around Body     Video

     Clove Hitch     Video

     Scaffold     Video

     Alpine Butterfly     Video

     Square Knot     Video

     Becket Bend     Video

    Munter's Hitch     Video

Rescue Knots

     Figure 8     Video

     Figure 8 on a Bight     Video

     Figure 8 Follow Through     Video

Life Safety Rescue Knots

     Double Loop Figure 8 on a Bight     Video

     Inline Double Loop Figure 8 on the Ground     Video

     Inline Double Loop Figure 8 in the Air     Video

     Double Loop Figure 8 Follow Through     Video

     Double Loop Figure 8 Centering     Video

Utility Rescue Knots

     Double Fisherman's     Video

     Prusik Hitch     Video

     Bowline on a Coil    Video

Emergency Preparedness

Emergency Preparedness

The Allamakee County Emergency Management Agency recommends county residents take time to perform three simple steps to ensure they and their families are prepared for any potential emergencies or disasters by making an emergency plan, building an emergency kit and being aware of the hazards they may face to include severe weather, hazardous materials, infrastructure impacts, fires and pandemics.

Please take time to evaluate your readiness and to aid in this process we have provided online resources and links to several preparedness sites. 

Ready Iowa:  www.beready.iowa.gov

Ready Gov:  www.ready.gov

Iowa Homeland Security and Emergency Management:  www.homelandsecurity.iowa.gov

Iowa Emergency Management Association:  www.iowaema.com

Safeguard Iowa Partnership:  www.safeguardiowa.org

National Weather Service La Crosse, Wisconsin:  www.weather.gov/arx

Phone Directory

Case Management563-568-6227563-568-6417
County Conservation563-586-2996
County Social Services563-568-6227
Emergency Management563-568-4233
Environmental Health563-419-6664
Planning and Development563-568-3014
Veteran's Affairs563-568-6135563-568-2451
Waste Management563-568-4806


Emergency Dial 911 - for Non-Emergency Dial 563-568-4521

The Allamakee County Sheriff's Office is located at 877 Hwy 9, Waukon, IA 52172.

              Duties of the Sheriff include;
                      - County wide dispatch of all Police, Fire and Emergency Medical Services
                      - Provide county and contract municipal law enforcement services
                      - Civil process service 
                      - Operation of the County Jail


- Mission Statement -

"To Protect and Serve the citizens and visitors of Allamakee County through professional law enforcement service.

The Allamakee County Sheriff's Office will work with diligence to achieve our mission for those we serve."

                                                                                                               Sheriff Clark A. Mellick


SITE NAVIGATION (some pages under construction)


E-911 DISPATCH CENTER  -   Hours of operation  24/7  365 days a year

ALLAMAKEE COUNTY JAIL  -   See page for visitation

CIVIL DIVISION -  Open Monday - Friday  8:00 am to 4:00 pm  (Closed Holidays) 

            SHERIFF SALES -  See page for current sales




Off-Road Utility Vehicle Operation on Secondary Roads in Allamakee County


Iowa DOT Accident Form for self reporting of accident

Welcome To 

Check out Allamakee County Conservation's Website Here

Mission Statement:

It is the Conservation Board’s responsibility to acquire, develop, maintain and make available, to the inhabitants of the county, public museums, parks, preserves, parkways, playgrounds, recreational centers, environmental educational opportunities, county forests, wildlife and other conservation areas, and to promote and preserve the health and general welfare of the people, and to encourage the orderly development and conservation of natural resources and to cultivate good citizenship by providing adequate programs of public recreation.

Future Meetings & Agenda


The Allamakee County Conservation Board will meet in special session at 4:00 P.M. Wednesday
November 9, 2022 at the Board Office located at 1944 Columbus Road Lansing, Iowa.


1. Call to order and roll call.
2. Board discussion and decision on personnel matters.
3. Adjournment.

What Allamakee County Conservation Has Going On

Driftless Area Education & Visitor Center

Free Of Charge



Monday 8:00am - 4:30pm

Tuesday 8:00am - 4:30pm

Thursday 8:00am - 4:30pm

Friday 8:00am - 4:30pm

Saturday 12:00pm - 4:00pm

Sunday  12:00pm - 4:00pm

Robey Memorial Library "After School with Ross"

3:30 ~ Lauerman Story Corner

Every fourth Tuesday of the month

Check out our online calendar at:


Contact Information

Allamakee County Conservation Board
1944 Columbus Road
Lansing, IA 52151

Main Line: 563-538-0400

NamePositionE-MailDirect Line
James JanettDirectoraccb.director@gmail.com 563-538-0402
Jarrod OlsonAssistant Directoraccb.asstdirector@gmail.com 563-538-0403
Ross GeerdesNaturalistaccb.naturalist@gmail.com 


Erin CubbonOffice Manageraccb.offmanager@gmail.com 563-538-0401

For further information visit the Conservation website at :



Driftless Area Education and Visitor Center

Beyond The Plateau: The Campaign to build a Driftless Area Education and Visitor Center

Imagine tall prairie grasses waving gently in the wind, rippling across rolling hills and topping ridges of carved sandstone. The Yellow River carves a meandering path throughout the county, flowing through valleys and between rocky bluffs covered in oak and maple trees. These are the sights and sounds of the Driftless Area in Allamakee County.

Driftless Education Area and Visitor Center Campaign Video

Allamakee County Conservation Board Through the Years

Since its formation in 1989, the Allamakee County Conservation Board (ACCB) has worked to maintain public areas, provide access to recreational opportunities, develop wildlife habitats and educate visitors and community members about the environmental and conservation issues of the Driftless Area in Allamakee County. The Conservation Board oversees more than 158 acres, including
19 parks, river access and canoe landing areas. In 2007, the Allamakee County Conservation Board took on the responsibility of managing and developing an expanse of land along the Mississippi River. This property will be the site of the Driftless Area Education and Visitor Center.


The Driftless Area encompasses 24,000 square miles, including portions of Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin. Also called the Paleozoic Plateau, it is one of the few regions left untouched by the last glacial period.

When glaciers carved paths across the Upper Mississippi River Valley 12,500 years ago, their paths skirted Allamakee County and the greater Driftless Area. The existing topography was preserved, and the animal and plant species of the area were mostly protected from the loss of habitat other species experienced in the surrounding areas.

Building Beyond the Plateau

Embracing the history and natural beauty of the Driftless Area is the key to building beyond the plateau. The design of the Driftless Area Education and Visitor Center celebrates the varied topography, wildlife and plant life by incorporating observation decks and patios on each level to ensure all visitors are treated to stunning views of the region. The facility will be more than a visitor center. It will include:

• Meeting rooms for public use
• Classrooms and group-learning areas
• Office spaces
• A nonprofit gift shop area
• A welcome desk to accommodate visitors

The new education center will become the  Allamakee County Conservation Board’s  headquarters, and it will provide jobs in the  community to staff and maintain the facility.

Taking Education Beyond the Classroom

The Driftless Area Education and Visitor Center will take education beyond the classroom and into the outdoors. Educational programs will provide opportunities for students to learn about conserving and protecting natural resources, and nearly two floors of interpretive and dimensional displays will show students the history of their county and the Driftless Area. It is estimated that 8,000 to 10,000 youth from the surrounding area alone will visit the education center annually.
Encouraging learning beyond the plateau will include
displays about:

• River-town economies
• The natural history of the region
• American Indian cultures
• Archaeological history

Preserving Nature Beyond the Trail’s End

The Allamakee County Conservation Board maintains and preserves the land and wildlife of the Driftless Area in Allamakee County. Efforts to preserve nature beyond the trail’s end have already begun. So far, the Allamakee County Conservation Board has been able to create
a handicapped-accessible fishing access and stabilize the stream banks in the area.

Next, the project entails developing trails and sidewalks, as well as improving the infrastructure to allow visitors to reach the new center. Miles of trails and sidewalks will be built or improved to help visitors take in the natural beauty surrounding them at the Driftless Area Education and Visitor Center.

Questions & Answers

How will the project be funded?

The Driftless Area Education and Visitor Center will be funded through a number of sources. The ACCB was awarded a National Scenic Byway Grant of $1.3 million, the largest amount awarded to date in Iowa by this program. Out of more than 1,800 applications submitted nationwide, only 80 were funded. Funding from the highly competitive National Scenic Byway Grant Program illustrates the quality of the Driftless Area Education and Visitor Center project.
The ACCB met a challenge grant from the R. J. McElroy Trust in which they provided $300,000 if the ACCB raised $250,000 from area banks. This match was met, providing $550,000 to the project. The ACCB has also received notice from the Vision Iowa Board of their intent to award a Community Attraction & Tourism (CAT) grant of $486,386.

The ACCB has committed $200,000 of REAP funds toward the project. The stream bank stabilization work recently completed on the project site was funded by a Fish Habitat Grant. Funding totaling $37,000 has been awarded to the ACCB and the Allamakee County Conservation Foundation (ACCF) by the Allamakee County Community Foundation over a five-year period. Funding provided by the Allamakee County Community Foundation was instrumental in completing engineering, architectural and interpretive display plans that were instrumental in obtaining other grants for the project.

The ACCB has begun the private sector fundraising campaign and has retained the services of a professional fundraising consultant to assist in the fundraising efforts.

What are the annual operating expenses and who will pay for operational expenses?

The annual operational cost for the Driftless Area Education and Visitor Center is projected to be $18,000. These fixed costs—including heat, water, phone, Internet, cleaning, inspections, building and grounds maintenance—will be paid through the ACCB operational budget initially. The ACCF may look at
cost sharing these expenditures as
its revenues increase.

Will the Allamakee County Conservation Board still have a presence in Harpers Ferry?

Yes, the current facilities of the Allamakee County Conservation Board in Harpers Ferry will remain the department’s center of maintenance and development. Some staff will report there on a daily basis. The Naturalist Program will use the facility to organize and store environmental education equipment and supplies.


Will tax dollars be used for the construction of this project?

It has been the goal of the ACCB to minimize the amount of local tax funding for the construction of the project. Depending on the grant funding source that the Conservation Board is applying for, local tax funds are required to show local commitment to the project. The ACCB will approach the Allamakee County Board of Supervisors for funding for this project, with the amount of funding requested dependent on the success of the private fundraising campaign.
The ACCB will use the value of the property for an in-kind match to obtain grants when necessary. The National Scenic Byway Grant already awarded requires payment of expenditures by the County before reimbursements can be submitted. The Allamakee County Board of Supervisors has provided the Conservation Board interim financing to pay for engineering, architectural and interpretive design work. Matching funds have been provided by the Allamakee County Community Foundation.

“ My hope is that the Tri-State area school districts will utilize the facility for an out-of-classroom learning experience to be educated on why we are the Driftless Region, why the Mississippi River is so important to our local economy and the history of our past.”         - Jane M. Regan, Campaign Co-chair

“ There aren’t many times in life you get an opportunity like this. You are going to be affecting the lives of kids 50 or 75 years from now.  I believe when you get a chance like this, you need to grab it and run with it and do the best you can.”         - John Verdon, Campaign Co-chair


Campaign Co-Chairs

  • Jane M. Regan, Waukon
  • John Verdon, Lansing

Honorary Campaign Chairs

  • Mark Farley, Cedar Falls
  • Dan Gable, Iowa City
  • Gary and Karen Galema, Lansing
  • Msgr. Ed Lechtenberg, Lansing

Projected Cost Estimate - $3.6 Million

Funding Secured

  • Grants - $2,147,786
  • Gifts and Pledges - $1,026,460
  • Miscellaneous Funding - $95,100

Amount Remaing

$330,000  (as of 6/1/2016)

How You Can Help

It will take the support and generosity of many families, friends and businesses to build the Driftless Area Education and Visitor Center.  When you’re ready to help the Allamakee County Conservation Board  go Beyond the Plateau, there are several ways you can give. Please choose the best way for you, and please give generously.

• Gifts will be accepted according to the Allamakee County Conservation Board’s gift acceptance policies
• Gifts may be made in cash or securities
• Gifts can include bequests, real estate, life insurance, grain and personal property
• Matching gifts through your employer or spouse’s employer can double or even triple your gift
• Pledges are encouraged and may be extended over a period of up to three years. A reminder will be mailed to you
• Your gift may be made in honor or in memory of someone. A letter recognizing your gift will be mailed to the person you are honoring or the family of the    person you are memorializing
• Your gift is tax deductible to the greatest extent of the law

In Recognition of Generous Contributions

All contributors to the Beyond the Plateau campaign will be recognized through a commemorative program at our grand opening. All gifts of $1,000 or more will be recognized on a permanent, centralized recognition display.
Many areas of the new center may be named for an individual, business or organization as a result of a major gift. Recognition of these gifts will appear on a centralized recognition display. Naming opportunities are available for your review through the Allamakee County Conservation Board’s office or a campaign volunteer.
All gifts will be used in the areas of greatest need for the project.


Click Here To Print/Complete The Above Pledge From

The Allamakee County Conservation Board and the Allamakee County Conservation Foundation are dedicated in their mission to bring quality environmental education, outdoor recreational activities, and visitor information to area residents and visitors. We appreciate your support and if you have any further questions, please call the Conservation Office at 563-586-2996.

Board of Health


Allamakee County Board of Health Agenda

Wednesday, November 9 , 2022 9:00AM

IN PERSON- Board of Supervisors Room

Allamakee County Courthouse   110 Allamakee Street   Waukon

1. Call to order

2. Roll call of attendance

3. Public Comments

4. Old Business

  • Approval of September Meeting Minutes

5. New Business

  • Guest
    • Vicki Gassman
    • Sarah Noack
  • C & HC Report
    • Quarter Report-1st Quarter FY23
    • Sheryl Mooney- Public Health Updates
  • Environmental Health Report
    • Quarter Report- 1st Quarter FY23
  • Expense/Revenue Summary Report
  • Board of Health Chair Comments/Correspondence
  • Contracts Update
  • Other Misc. Business

6. Adjournment



Board Openings


Females encouraged to apply


The following Boards/Commissions for Allamakee County have openings or a term is expiring.  If you have an interest in applying for appointment or reappointment to any of these Boards/Commissions, please contact the Auditor's office for an application or print the application on the County website (https://allamakeecounty.iowa.gov/boardopenings). Click on Board/Commission application link below. Applications should be submitted to Auditor's office at 110 Allamakee St, Waukon,. *Females are encouraged to apply. Gender balance is a required goal for many County boards and commissions appointed by Supervisors.

BOARD/COMMISSION                   TERM                    FROM                   OPENINGS/TERMS EXPIRING

Zoning Board of Adjustment**             5 yrs                      NOW - 12/31/25                          1                                                 

**Members must live in Unincorporated area 

Board/Commission Application

E-911 Emergency Communications Center

The Allamakee County E-911 Emergency Communications is staffed 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Responsibilities of the Communications Center;

  • Answers all 911 calls or all rural and municpalities throughout Allamakee County.
  • Provides telecommunciation services to all county and municipal law enforcement agencies, fire departments and emergency medical services.
  • Answers all telephone calls received by the Allamakee County Sheriff's Office.
  • Facilitates requests for services from the public.
  • Maintains records of the Allamakee County Sheriff's Office.

return to sheriff home page




1:00 P.M.


Meeting ID: 878 8458 9992      Passcode: Call 563-568-3522 for passcode


Call to order

Pledge of Allegiance


1:00 pm     Approve Today’s Agenda


                  Discuss/Consider rescinding motion 22.417 appointing temporary VMH Board of Trustees

                  Discuss/Consider motion to appoint permanent VMH Board of Trustees members



Welcome to Allamakee

County Courthouse

Welcome to the Allamakee County Courthouse website. Here you will find information and resources available for Allamakee county residents and visitors.

Who is


Allamakee County was formed on February 20, 1847. The derivation of the name is debated, some believing it was the name of an Indian chief, others think it was named for Allen Magee, an early historic trader. The first Allamakee County Courthouse, built in 1861, now serves as the Allamakee County Historical Museum.

Planning and Development

Stephanie Runkle Zoning Administrator - 563-568-3014 Fax 563-217-3820 Email srunkle@co.allamakee.ia.us

Planning and Development


Making an appointment with your desired office is highly recommended!

Planning & Zoning Commison has two board openings. To read about the expectations of board members go tothe zoning ordinance link below and read section 503- Planning & Zoning Commission. Applications are found on the website under the category Boards & Commissions- In the Board Openings tab, you will find the application. Please fill out and return to the Planning & Zoning Office. 

Board of Adjustment has two board openings: To read about the expectations of board members go to the zoning ordinance link below and read section 504-Board of Adjustment. Applications are found on the website under the category Boards & Commissions- In the Board Openings tab, you will find the application. Please fill out and return to the Planning & Zoning Office.

Planning & Zoning Phone: 563-568-3014 


Stephanie Runkle, Zoning Administrator  srunkle@co.allamakee.ia.us

Mandy O'Neill, Administrative Assistant moneill@co.allamakee.ia.us 

Helpful Links

Helpful links

Helpful Links



CANDIDATE GUIDES to answer most of your questions about being a candidate on the ballot:

School Candidate Guide      City Candidate Guide

*In-person Absentee Voters are not allowed to carry a blank "official" ballot out of the Auditor's office. You must vote a ballot in the Auditor's office or have the ballot mailed to you. 

If you have questions about this, or any election law, please contact the Auditor's office at 563-568-3522.

Voter Registration Form - Print, fill out all REQUIRED fields and mail to Allamakee County Auditor, 110 Allamakee St, Waukon, IA 52172

     Spanish instructions for How to Fill out Voter Registration Form

Absentee Ballot Request form

     Como Llenar El Formulario Oficial de Solicitud de La Papeleta Electoral por Correo


Voting with Disabilities information


     Registering to Vote

     Absentee Voting

     Voting on Election Day

Voting Guide for Young Voters/College students  NOTE: The website linked to this item is not endorsed or created by the Iowa Secretary of State, nor by the Allamakee County Auditor. It is an informational website. If you question any of the information provided on this website, please contact the Allamakee County Auditor's office at 563-568-3522.


Allamakee County Board of Adjustment

November 1, 2022 at 4:30p.m.

Supervisors Office, First Floor, Courthouse, Waukon, IA 

Join Zoom Meeting


Meeting ID: 884 0826 8191          Password: 342640

Call to Order/Roll Call of Membership

Approval of Agenda

Approve of Minutes

    October 25, 2022

Public Hearings:

     A petition for a Variance has been filed by Bruce & Angela Colsch at 2572 Sand Cove Rd New Albin. The petition request is in consdieration of a Variance in order to have one parcel less than three acres. This property is zoned A-1, Agricultural which has a 3 acre minimum requirement.

New Business

Old Business





Board of Adjustment


Zoning Commission


There is some debate over the origin of the county name. Some say the county is named after Allan Magee, an Indian trader and trapper, who was known by the Winnebago Indians. Other sources say the name is purely of an Indian origin.

The first county seat was located just northwest of Rossville, at a place called "The Old Stake." This site was considered useless as there were other points of greater importance already settled in Allamakee County.

In April 1851, the voters went to the polls to select a county seat. The towns Vailsville, Smith's Mill and Columbus were choices. None of them received a majority of the votes. A second election was held the following May, with Columbus receiving the most votes. Soon after Columbus was selected as the county seat, a rivalry developed between Columbus and Lansing. Due to this a commission was appointed to select the county seat. The site they selected was Waukon. The choice went to an election. Even though Columbus fought the decision, the results were overwhelmingly for Waukon.

A courthouse was built in 1853. It was a small frame structure that cost $325 to construct. It was used until 1857, when a similar building was constructed next to it. These two buildings served the county until 1861, when the county seat was moved again.

A heated contest between the towns of Waukon and Lansing developed. Both towns agreed to build on suitable lots and both towns offered substantial "rewards" for the county seat. Lansing offered $8000 and Waukon offered $5000 towards the courthouse.

Between 1860-1861, following an election, a $13,000 courthouse was built in Waukon.                               The city paid $5000 as promised. Although Waukon had a courthouse, it was not the county seat. That distinction went to "The Point". Located between Lansing and Capoli, "The Point" became the site of a $5000, stone structure courthouse. The cost was paid by the citizens of Lansing.

Courthouse at the Point

In the summer of 1866 the citizens of Waukon attempted to regain the county seat. A gang of 30 men from Waukon tried to steal the county records from the courthouse at "The Point." This attempt failed, but the one in 1867 did not. A 10th county seat election was held. Waukon won out, after a 25-year long battle.

The present courthouse is of modern design. It was built between 1940 and 1941, and it replaced the $13,000 courthouse built in 1861. The old courthouse was taken over by the Allamakee County Historical Society; it now functions as a museum.

Courthouse built in 1940 and 1941


Helpful links

Helpful Links

IMPORTANT NOTICE: There will be NO PASSPORT ACCEPTANCE SERVICES on APRIL 6, 2022 due to staff being out at training.

REMINDER: PASSPORT SERVICES are BY APPOINTMENT ONLY! Call 563-568-3522 to make an appointment.


*DISCLAIMER: If any links on this page do not work, please try a different browser (Firefox or Edge seem to work better). If they still do not work, please let someone at the Auditor's office know at 563-568-3522 or dbeyer@co.allamakee.ia.us.*

FOR GENERAL ELECTION POLLING PLACES, INFO AND RESULTS, CLICK this link: https://allamakeecountyelections.iowa.gov/ 

For Statewide results, click here https://electionresults.iowa.gov/IA/115641/web.285569/#/summary - Use the Filter icon across from the word RESULTS to filter by County.

     Secretary of State

     Spanish instructions for filling out Voter Registration Form

     Como Llenar El Formulario Oficial de Solicitud de La Papeleta Electoral por Correo

     Online Voter Registration

          Electronic Voter Registration Facts and FAQ

PASSPORT ACCEPTANCE SERVICES will be BY APPOINTMENT ONLY from 9am-3pm. Call 563-568-3522 for an appointment.

  • APPLY EARLY!! EFFECTIVE JULY 2021 - - Passport Services Agency has notified us to allow 8-11 weeks (11-14 weeks if you include MAILING TIME) when applying for a passport - new or renewal. Expedited service is available for an extra fee and can still take 5-7 weeks (8-10 weeks if you include MAILING TIME).  Please call 563-568-3522 with questions.
  • EFFECTIVE DECEMBER 27, 2021 - application fees increase. ADULT application fee increases to $130 per application and CHILD application fee increases to $100 per application. Sorry for the late notice. The Auditor's office was just notified on December 22 of this increase. 

     Passport information (English)

     Información general sobre pasaportes

Real Estate